Turbot hunt!

Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:19 am

Hi everyone,

Having received so many helpful hints on the 'winter small boat angling' thread I set up, I am now seeking any info on that large, elusive and beautifully marked flatfish: the turbot. I fish out of cork harbour and I am thinking sandy/shingle ground near a wreck or rough ground. There is lots to explore near the harbour and I am releshing the challenge, but if anyone knows of spots that may be known for these attractive Flatties, how and when to fish for them, what the best baits are, and indeed any other tips that might be helpful, please post or pm. All info is appreciated!

Looking forward to the summer!

Ninted

Re: Turbot hunt!

Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:42 am

There are much better boat anglers than me on here but here's my tuppence worth and it assumes you are seeking something bigger than what we get on the beaches...

Big lumps of Mackerel belly strip or whole launce if you can get them
Big baits: - turbot have huge mouths and a big appetite, half a fillet on a 4/0 is not unreasonable and it gives you a shot at other predators
sonic spoon rig with long flowing trace that will waft around in the current, covering as much ground as possible
The only time I have caught them was on this rig over sand down tiding on a slow drift around some rocky pinnacles that produced a scour.
Not sure how to uptide for them, presume you would anchor up and cast into the scours and dips if you have good accuracy...

Hope this helps and I am sure Jim and Co will add far better comments. Like I said only caught a few off a boat (not for want of trying). If you read old articles from Leslie Moncrieff and co on their travels to Broadhaven Bay - "filling two boxes in an hour with fish in the stamp of 12-18 lbs off a half decker in 30 foot of water" - you begin to realise what we once had and how self regulation of commercial fishing is never going to work...

Hops off soap box...

Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:19 am

Thanks Kieran,

Yeah I try not to think about what we had and focus on what we have! Not 'head in the sand' (excuse the pun) but I like to enjoy the challenge of a new species. I actually picked up one in cork harbour over one of the banks two summers ago - small enough but I was delighted!

Anyway, many thanks for the info, I'm looking forward to the hunt!

C

Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:03 pm

Spot on. Big strips of the white mackerel belly.

Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:17 am

Hi lads,

Disappointing trip last Sunday, headed east and fished to a about six miles south of power head for nout but one cuckoo and a few miserable looking whiting...

Anyone else having better luck out there?. I'm heading out again Sunday if the weather lets me.