Doolin and/or Liscannor slipways

Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:35 pm

Hi Lads I am going to be spending a few weeks working up in West Clare with work during the summer and was looking at bringing up my 165 and try my luck along that part of the coast. I have never fished around the area. So just wondering what the slips are like in both Liscannor and Doolin for launching, etc, and what's the fishing like, any marks worth investigating, and anything else I should know about the area? Thanks in advance for the help lads

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Re: Doolin and/or Liscannor slipways

Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:59 pm

Too far from my fishing grounds but Lisconnor slip looks fine on Google Earth.
Worth researching is Tope fishing in the Shannon estuary.

Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:23 pm

Thanks Donal. I checked both out on Google earth too and both look fine, Liscannor looks more sheltered, but still can't beat a bit of first hand knowledge. I'll definitely check out the tope reports.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:50 pm

Droolin is a nice slip, but very swell dependant. Not so bad if there is a crew to help launch and recover , but it can be dangerous so pick a calm day. Doodlin is also a very busy tourist ferry terminal, so if you do go, go nice and early in the morning, and come back late, that way you should have no problem launching and parking car, mores the point getting the car/trailer out of the car park in the evening, it's not uncommon to get blocked in by people spending the weekend on the island !! Not good. So pick a parking spot where no one can block you. May well be worth calling doodlin rescue/coastguard and asking them what the current situation is,as it's been a while since I launched there and there has been a new jetty built.
Liscannor is a ok slip, ,but again can be busy in summer, and parking trailer can be an issue, it's a bit of a spin out to fishing areas, and a very long trip to the islands, so doodlin best bet.
Good luck