12v marine electrics

Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:13 pm

Just wondering is it possible to take a direct feed from the battery switch (one from positive and negative ) up to a 4 gang fused switch panel (each switch is individually fused )then each electronic wired to each switch ?or any recommendations thanks

Re: 12v marine electrics

Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:03 pm

jellybait wrote:Just wondering is it possible to take a direct feed from the battery switch (one from positive and negative ) up to a 4 gang fused switch panel (each switch is individually fused )then each electronic wired to each switch ?or any recommendations thanks

That's the way to do it. I used 4 core flex, (for extra strenght) to wire from the battery to two wiring blocks, I linked the earth and blue together (negitive) and the brown and black together (positive).

wiring block
WIRING BLOCK.jpg

wiring sketch
Untitled.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:59 am

thanks Donal , I think im on the right track , I was going to eliminate the buzzbars and go direct to the switch panel but it seems i should use a positive and negative buss bar , Did you use a joiner block in replacment for buzzbars ? also did you use 220v cable or 12v volt cable ?
thanks

Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:25 pm

Normally you would use a negative Bar or terminal and wire direct from the terminal to the battery. Your not switching big current, so 5mm square cable would be fine in most applications. Any decent switch will have the positive input looped down to each subsequent switch. Take a positive feed off the battery to the looped side of the switch. From here you connect the negative of each device to the Bar or Terminal connection. The positive goes to the "on" side of the switch, opposite the looped side. This was you are switching the positive to the device. I have cable if you need any, just fire me a PM.

Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:31 pm

Yes Sounds perfect - I have it cleared up in my head now - thanks for all your help as I much rather understanding and doing these things myself