Re: Winter small boat angling

Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:11 pm

Tomorrow looks good lads, I'm gonna make a break for it if I can. Anyone else heading out there...?

Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:49 pm

ninted wrote:Tomorrow looks good lads, I'm gonna make a break for it if I can. Anyone else heading out there...?

planning to take the kayak out from Dungarvan as long as i dont get second thoughts when its freezing in the morning. not really sure what species i should be aiming for but I'll drop some baited feathers in deep water and see what happens

Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:02 pm

Nice. I love a bit of searching! I used a 3 hook running trace with a boom and a spoon on the last trip but the lads using baited hok eyes did better. Weather looks fab though! How's it lookin your direction?

Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:06 pm

looks fantastic bar the freezing temps!

What did they pick up? Ive no idea what to expect
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:15 pm

Sunday would look a better day
Dungarvan http://www.windfinder.com/forecast/dungarven
Roches Point http://www.windfinder.com/forecast/roches_point

Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:43 pm

donal domeney wrote:Sunday would look a better day
Dungarvan http://www.windfinder.com/forecast/dungarven
Roches Point http://www.windfinder.com/forecast/roches_point

You sure Donal...? The sat wave height wind etc looks far lighter on sat from looking at that report... Am I looking at it wrong...?

Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:49 pm

never bothered with the wave height It would not be exact. I'm happier to see the wind blowing off the land for a day or two. Just on your report, when you have wind against tide at the harbour rock you will always have a bit of a swell. Head out the Crosshaven side for calmer conditions.

Edit Saturday morning: Yesterdays chart has been brought forward by about 6 hours making it a different day on Sunday :oops:

Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:37 pm

Howya all,

I went out Saturday, got up late though and wasn't on the water until about 12. Hitting whiting straight away in the harbour, and though it did look OK outside I was on my own so I stayed in. Could've filled the boat with grand sized whiting but couldn't find any cod only one baby. Put on some big baits just to see if I'd get past them, but all that happened was that they got stripped and I got some bear hooks back. Drifted about a bit looking for anything but aside from the whiting it was pretty quiet anywhere I tried. Still though, good clarity in the water and it was a really nice day- I should've got up at dawn! Met some lads in the afternoon coming back from a few miles out and they had little or no fish though, so my whiting bonanza didn't seem so bad after all. If it stays as is soft plastics will be workin well I'd say!

Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:38 pm

Paddy002 wrote:
ninted wrote:Tomorrow looks good lads, I'm gonna make a break for it if I can. Anyone else heading out there...?

planning to take the kayak out from Dungarvan as long as i dont get second thoughts when its freezing in the morning. not really sure what species i should be aiming for but I'll drop some baited feathers in deep water and see what happens

Any luck? Did you get out at all?

Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:35 pm

after a lot of deliberation i bit the bullet and went for it! it was pretty damn cold suited up with a wet suit then thermals and a dry suit :lol:
but once i got on the water it was great! sea was flat calm with a light breeze from the north. was ideal to start in close too the shore and drift out around 600 or 700 m. in the 2 hours i was out i picked up codling, pouting and........... a starfish :lol:

roll on next sat!! looks pretty good again

Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:01 pm

Paddy002 wrote:after a lot of deliberation i bit the bullet and went for it! it was pretty damn cold suited up with a wet suit then thermals and a dry suit :lol:
but once i got on the water it was great! sea was flat calm with a light breeze from the north. was ideal to start in close too the shore and drift out around 600 or 700 m. in the 2 hours i was out i picked up codling, pouting and........... a starfish :lol:

roll on next sat!! looks pretty good again

Good man Paddy! Any size on the codling?

Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:14 am

Great tips on fishing spots and bait to use, thanks folks.

Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:38 pm

Just stumbled onto your report. Nice write up... pity about the Cod, but it sounds like you had some decent fishing.

Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:36 pm

MAC wrote:Just stumbled onto your report. Nice write up... pity about the Cod, but it sounds like you had some decent fishing.

hey Mac,

yeah there are huge numbers of whiting around. Have you seen or heard of any cod in the harbour at all..??

Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:24 am

Howya lads!

Sunday looks pretty flat so far, so I'm planning a trip for then out of Cork Harbour. If anyone else is making a break for it perhaps a buddy-up with two or more boats would be fun? Watch out for each other like?

Anyway, let me know if you're interested. There was a few lads out last Sunday and they got a clatter of macs and herring and a good number of nice pollock. Also, if anyone has tips on locations I'd be much obliged!

Tight lines, and, hmmm, should I rename this thread "Spring small boat angling".....?

Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:59 pm

That forecast is all over the place at the moment. :roll:
It looks like a windy high at the current charts.
It doesn't take much wind from the south east to make things "not nice" outside.

We sit and we watch and we wait...

Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:22 pm

Nice tomorrow jim , heading down again most likely

Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:13 am

How are you screaming reels, was speaking to you last Sunday at the slip. Either you or one of your crew told me a joke about a chicken and a horse.....

If you're heading out Sunday you might pm me..? I'd love to hit it tomorrow but alas I must work.

Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:37 pm

That would have been seirt then, !! Will not be out Sunday as working all weekend, next chance for me will be possibly wed,as you saw from our catch, if you fell confident enough head for the lings, the nets cannot get everything and there was a lot of macks and herring around too,macks were only 6-15 foot under the boat.
Good luck on Sunday !!

Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:40 am

Nice one lad! best of luck today!