What do you think of the Abu Suveran 6-10 uptider?

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:43 pm

Hi folks, I've just bought one of the Abu Suveran uptide rods in the 6-10oz class and was thinking of using it with either my Penn 320LD or my Slosh30.

Which of those 2 reels do you think would be the best to pair up with the abu, or would you recommend another uptide reel that may be better for the purpose?

Would you recommend braid or mono? and what breaking strain would you use to get the best performance out of the rod and also a bit of craic?

I want also to use it for pier fishing, would it work well for that?

What would be the class rating of it also? I have seen some with a rating of 20lb class and also some at 30lb class and was just wondering.

Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:29 pm

ABU 7000 (red one) or Penn 325 loaded with 18 lb mono would do me nicely. 8)

abu 6 - 10

Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:00 am

I have one of these and use an ABU 7000 CT on it. That is the Blue 7000. This reel has no level wind and has bearings rather than bushes. Excellent rod for launching bait and weights but when i say launching i do not mean full force casting from a pier. I would not recomend this as the rod is quite tippy and floppy as are all true uptide rods. They are really meant for strong lobbing rather than a true cast. it is an excellent rod though!

Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:39 am

I have the 4 to 8 onz version of that rod and think its great, lovely soft tip to absorb boat movement etc.

I use a 7000ld on mine mostly but think that the smaller, lighter the reel is the better the rod feels. Start off with the sl30 but if you are not fishing in really snaggy ground or for huge fish, then try to come down to something like a 525. Intend to do that myself as much as possible this year. Much better sport. :D

In Abu's catalog, they recommend 30lb Fireline and thats what I have on the 7000 but for uptiding, mono is the preferred choice.

Lee

Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:34 am

Where abouts did you buy it? Have been looking for one myself.

Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:53 pm

I have a Suveran with the Penn 320ld it has served me very well! I would agree though that with lighter reels it is very nice - I have a small daiwa casting multiplier and it is perfectly balanced with this setup.

MarieK