Re: West coast shark.

Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:09 pm

jw wrote:sean,

i have been to the baltimore angling festival, they get about 60 anglers to show up, pay
top price for a charter, stay in their accomodation, eat and drink there, also lots of sponsorship.
on their shark day for 60 anglers (late august) they do not supply even one mackeral for rubby dubby,
there is nothing as tight on the planet as a cork charter skipper!!
between 60 anglers they caught one blue shark, what a joke

i would recommend carrigaholt sea angling, the shark trip comes with a box of rubby dubby,
ive done a lot of trips with them and never blanked, blue sharks are very easy to catch
if you do the basics ( rubby dubby ), a lot of operators are in the stone age though

jw

Re: the strangely ill-informed criticisms of the Baltimore angling festival expressed by JW.

1. Fish for rubby dubby is supplied at the competition (although JW should feel free to catch his own).

2. None of the skippers or organisers owns any accommodation, restaurant or bar so are not responsible for what they charge (though I would have thought a typical B+B price of €35 can hardly be described as ‘top dollar’).

3. There might have been a day in the past when only one shark was caught but, of course, nowhere on earth can guarantee shark every day. Six were caught in this year’s competition but the following weekend a single boat caught 25+. That’s just fishing.

4. The Baltimore festival receives very little financial sponsorship. As a matter of fact last year the event made a loss of more than 1,000 euro. The ‘top price for a charter’ presumably refers to the entry fee which was 60 euro (or less) a head, a large slice of which goes into the cash prize pool.

5. The main beneficiaries of competitions like Baltimore's are the anglers and the local community. The costs of owning and running a licensed charter boat are high and the financial rewards are slim. At competition time the workload is greater and the rewards are even slimmer as skippers provide their services at a discount. They could hardly be less ‘tight’.

6. JW states there were 60 anglers out shark fishing that day. There has never been a shark fishing competition at Baltimore with anything remotely like 60 anglers taking part.

One has to wonder about the motive for this bizarre attack.

Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:32 pm

The Haberdasher wrote:
jw wrote:sean,

i have been to the baltimore angling festival, they get about 60 anglers to show up, pay
top price for a charter, stay in their accomodation, eat and drink there, also lots of sponsorship.
on their shark day for 60 anglers (late august) they do not supply even one mackeral for rubby dubby,
there is nothing as tight on the planet as a cork charter skipper!!
between 60 anglers they caught one blue shark, what a joke

i would recommend carrigaholt sea angling, the shark trip comes with a box of rubby dubby,
ive done a lot of trips with them and never blanked, blue sharks are very easy to catch
if you do the basics ( rubby dubby ), a lot of operators are in the stone age though

jw

Baltimore Sea Angling Festival

I would like to take issue with jw on his recent post. As a member of the organising committee I would like to state the following, which are my personal views and not that of the Baltimore Sea Angling Festival Committee.

I've been a member of the committee for over fifteen years and I know we never fished more that twenty eight anglers on the shark day of any of our competitions. Simply, it's not as popular as ground fishing which is done on the other days. Also, weather plays a big part here on the South Coast as to whether sharks are fished for or not. All boats used are Registered Angling Boats and all are owned and operated by full time professional skippers. It is completely untrue to say that rubby-dubby is not supplied. Apart from all boat having bran and fish oil they are also supplied with sufficient frozen bait for Shark days just in case fresh mackerel, which are caught on route to the marks, are scarce.

Our entry fee for the last seven/eight years, until this year, was €60 per day which represents great value for a days sea angling. Baltimore is a small village and all businesses need to survive to stay in business and provide a friendly and well appointed area to visit. While we do get some small sponsorship to run our event, mainly from outside the village, not one person on the committee runs a pub, hotel, restaurant or accommodation. In fact last year we lost over €1000.00 on the event.

It seems to me that jw has a personal gripe with Baltimore or the committee for some reason. The timing of his post and his pathetic attempt to defame the competition, committee and village at the start of the week of this years competition looks very childish and vindictive indeed. Thankfully, our 49th competition was very successful and we are already planning our 50th for August 25th to 28th 2016.

With five or six very hard working people on the committee it's very difficult to stomach jw's disparaging and uneducated comments.

Finally, did jw raise the issue or a complaint with the committee at the time, what boat was he on, what year did he fish?

The Haberdasher.

I completely agree with you, the timing of jw's post was too much of a coincidence. He obviously has a problem with the festival. We all appreciate the hard work that the committee does each and every year and i am looking forward to next year's 50th anniversary festival.
John

Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:59 pm

i do have some issues with the shark fishing sold at the baltimore festival,

first you sell a shark trip with no rubby dubby,

second you say there was rubby dubby when there wasn't

if you take your own numbers (approx) of the 60 angler who show up 30 participate in the shark trip,
over the last 3 years the average is two sharks per year, which means the typical punter would
have to show up for each year for fifteen years to catch one blue shark, also spend around 3 grand to catch one blue shark,

maybe a little less arrogance and a little more rubby dubby might be in order

Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:06 pm

jw wrote:i do have some issues with the shark fishing sold at the baltimore festival,

if you take your own numbers (approx) of the 60 angler who show up 30 participate in the shark trip,
over the last 3 years the average is two sharks per year, which means the typical punter would
have to show up for each year for fifteen years to catch one blue shark, also spend around 3 grand to catch one blue shark,

Perhaps you were disappointed by your performance during a Shark Day Competition at a previous Baltimore Sea Angling Festival. However the fact is you have yet to answer "The Haberdasher" last point, WHICH BOAT, WHICH YEAR.
Now that is arrogance, which raises the question did the no rugby hubby incident actually take place????

Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:10 pm

Did the rubby dubby incident actually take place, if so, when, which boat????

This a question many people would be interested in a reply from yourself????

Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:13 pm

Nothing wrong with the shark fishing near baltimore at the moment. Tom Collins had 64 blues on board Loch an Iasc yesterday and another 12 today

Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:09 pm

jw wrote:i do have some issues with the shark fishing sold at the baltimore festival,

Pointless as it seems to pursue this debate with a complete fantasist, but as a skipper at the Baltimore festival I can confirm that material for rubby dubby very definitely is supplied, even though it is perfectly normal practice all round the country to catch it on the way out. The only places where it is supplied as matter of course are those where there is a problem catching it.

No skipper at Baltimore or anywhere else would discount the use of rubby dubby in shark fishing. Strange that JW is unable to identify him.

To sum up:
Jw claims there is no rubby dubby which there is.
He was out on a day with 60 anglers which there never was.
He was out on a boat which he is unable to identify.

It might surprise JW to know that there was no shark fishing competition at Baltimore last year. Doubtless he was out in that too…

Nick

Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:21 pm

Baltimore Sea Angling Festival (BSAF)

As a member of the organising committee I would like to state that the following are my personal views and not that of the Baltimore Sea Angling Festival Committee.

Well jw as a moderator on other discussion groups on this site it's incredible to see you continue with this baseless, childish, vindictive argument. Do you not realise that you are the laughing stock of this discussion. As other posters have said, it's possible that you entered the shark competition, if you ever did, and had a blank and now you want to blame anything and everyone. I bet your rattle is on the floor outside your pram.

In the last twenty years that I've been involved in the festival bran, fish oil and rubby-dubby, (that's freshly caught mackerel on the way to the marks, by the way) have been used on shark days.

BSAF do not sell shark trips. Nobody pressured you or asked you to enter the competition. People enter for the good fishing down here on the South Coast and they enjoy the camaraderie, craic, and general relaxed atmosphere of the festival. Many competitors have been returning yearly for over twenty years. As 105 said €60 is very reasonable for a days sea angling and you have the chance to get your money back with substantial daily prize funds. Without the skippers take a hit in their pockets the festival would not be in existence today a fact which is appreciated by all involved.

Also, I think your maths like your memory needs a little rejuvenation. I assume its from all those blanks! If you take 30 anglers and that's half the competitors you mentioned in your previous post and they fish for fifteen years at €60.00 it comes to €900.00 and not €3000.00. Other posters, here, have confirmed that Baltimore is a hot spot for blue shark. Where did you get the idea that only two sharks are caught at the festival every year? The average shark day normally has 20 to 25 anglers with a max of 28 one year.

Arrogance is a word that best describes your argument. You post false scurrilous accusations about a competition you probably never entered and hope you will not be taken to task about it.

This is my last post on the subjct unless you:

Put up: What is the name of the boat?
Put up: What year you fished?

And finally, PUT UP or SHUT UP.

The Haberdasher.

Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:26 am

Well said