West coast shark.

Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:57 pm

Hi guys any body know how the shark fishing has been off the west coast? And could recommend a good charter for the job. Thanks.

Re: West coast shark.

Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:24 pm

sean,

i have been to the baltimore angling festival, they get about 60 anglers to show up, pay
top price for a charter, stay in their accomodation, eat and drink there, also lots of sponsorship.
on their shark day for 60 anglers (late august) they do not supply even one mackeral for rubby dubby,
there is nothing as tight on the planet as a cork charter skipper!!
between 60 anglers they caught one blue shark, what a joke

i would recommend carrigaholt sea angling, the shark trip comes with a box of rubby dubby,
ive done a lot of trips with them and never blanked, blue sharks are very easy to catch
if you do the basics ( rubby dubby ), a lot of operators are in the stone age though

jw

Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:57 pm

jw wrote:there is nothing as tight on the planet as a cork charter skipper

Bit of a sweeping statement there JW.
Some of the better charter skippers in the country happen to be cork-based. I would say most offer great service to their customers.... Just as Luke does in Carrigaholt.

Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:14 am

i heard that Kevin Mac Gabhann was getting a few around galway bay http://www.galwaybayfishing.com/

Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:59 am

Everyone knows it's the Cavan Charter boat skippers that are the tightest in the country.

Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:51 am

Rob Millard wrote:Everyone knows it's the Cavan Charter boat skippers that are the tightest in the country.

Spot on Rob :P

Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:33 pm

jw wrote:sean,

i have been to the baltimore angling festival, they get about 60 anglers to show up, pay
top price for a charter, stay in their accomodation, eat and drink there, also lots of sponsorship.
on their shark day for 60 anglers (late august) they do not supply even one mackeral for rubby dubby,

i would recommend carrigaholt sea angling, the shark trip comes with a box of rubby dubby,
ive done a lot of trips with them and never blanked, blue sharks are very easy to catch
if you do the basics ( rubby dubby ), a lot of operators are in the stone age though

jw

Have to ask when you went to the festival as that will determine my reply

Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:50 am

Well your silence shows how much of a MODEDITyou are and how little you know about the festival.
The Baltimore festival is Ireland's oldest running sea angling festival
It's in its 49th year today all the boats taking part are run by superb skippers who know how to fish.they have no need to supply bait as it's always caught fresh on way to the marks and the rugby dubby is supplied by all boats.
If all your going to do is slag off a great festival that you obviously have never entered I suggest you don't say anything at all.
John

Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:59 am

john, i did indeed fish the festival and rubby dubby was not supplied, the
particular skipper i fished with was of the opinion that rubby dubby was not
needed for shark fishing and you would catch just as many without it.
Some punter were aware that there was no rubby dubby supplied and brought their own

Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:39 pm

The brazen hussy 2 - seems to be getting a good few in galway also - http://fishinginireland.info/news/sea-r ... n-hussy-2/

Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:51 am

The Summer Rose skippered by Seamus Doherty and the BONITO skippered by Trevor Ryder are catching some Blue Sharks at the moment out of Downings. They told me Shark's aren't the problem, Mackerel is however.

There will be a few Porgie's knocking about the area as well this time of year and I think one or two small ones have been caught already. We will be partaking in the shortened version of the Sharkweek in Downings this Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:40 pm

Hey Biglad, I recognise that profile pic. See you tomorrow?

Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:02 pm

MODEDIT

We do not let posters slate charter skippers on the forum. There are obvious dangers from a legal standpoint.
Also I have seen some people rate one skipper highly while others reckon same said skipper is a donkey :) - Depends on many factors.
Here we recommend the good skippers we deal with. If people go by the recommendations on here they should do well and have a trip where the skipper earns his fee.

Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:26 pm

I've skippered a boat on and off for several years including all kinds of bottom and reef and wreck fishing, Tope, Sharks and even GBFT (before it was made illegal by our government :evil: ).

We always made the dubby ourselves and part of this was heading out and catch fresh mackerel. You would keep what was left for the following day just in case. There are several guys on here who fished and still fish with us and they would always lend a hand with cutting the mackerel and doing the mincing etc. This involvement was always appreciated and these are the guys that you like to take out. Then there were the ones that just stood there and wanted you to do everything from taking the fish of the hooks to baiting the shark hook, tying their balloon etc.

No skipper should go sharking without supplying some form of dubby in my opinion. There should be bran and fish oil on the boat at least.

Skippers that are looking for the easy way out will notice this in the number of returning clients, or lack of...

Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:02 pm

What category of 'punter' do I fall into Biglad?

Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:36 pm

You still fishing with us Rob aren't you :-) Hope to catch you for a bit tomorrow before you head back. Good luck anyway, looking to be a breezy one...

Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:16 pm

guts wrote:MODEDIT

We do not let posters slate charter skippers on the forum. There are obvious dangers from a legal standpoint.
Also I have seen some people rate one skipper highly while others reckon same said skipper is a donkey :) - Depends on many factors.
Here we recommend the good skippers we deal with. If people go by the recommendations on here they should do well and have a trip where the skipper earns his fee.

I did not name the skipper as I wish the lad all the best hope this wasn't considered slating??

Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:19 pm

corbyeire wrote:The brazen hussy 2 - seems to be getting a good few in galway also - http://fishinginireland.info/news/sea-r ... n-hussy-2/

Been touch mate gent to deal with thanks for the heads up..

Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:10 pm

The Modedit refers to the post by "guts" Seank not your post.

Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:31 pm

jw wrote:sean,

jw

Baltimore Sea Angling Festival

I would like to take issue with jw on his recent post. As a member of the organising committee I would like to state the following, which are my personal views and not that of the Baltimore Sea Angling Festival Committee.

I've been a member of the committee for over fifteen years and I know we never fished more that twenty eight anglers on the shark day of any of our competitions. Simply, it's not as popular as ground fishing which is done on the other days. Also, weather plays a big part here on the South Coast as to whether sharks are fished for or not. All boats used are Registered Angling Boats and all are owned and operated by full time professional skippers. It is completely untrue to say that rubby-dubby is not supplied. Apart from all boat having bran and fish oil they are also supplied with sufficient frozen bait for Shark days just in case fresh mackerel, which are caught on route to the marks, are scarce.

Our entry fee for the last seven/eight years, until this year, was €60 per day which represents great value for a days sea angling. Baltimore is a small village and all businesses need to survive to stay in business and provide a friendly and well appointed area to visit. While we do get some small sponsorship to run our event, mainly from outside the village, not one person on the committee runs a pub, hotel, restaurant or accommodation. In fact last year we lost over €1000.00 on the event.

It seems to me that jw has a personal gripe with Baltimore or the committee for some reason. The timing of his post and his pathetic attempt to defame the competition, committee and village at the start of the week of this years competition looks very childish and vindictive indeed. Thankfully, our 49th competition was very successful and we are already planning our 50th for August 25th to 28th 2016.

With five or six very hard working people on the committee it's very difficult to stomach jw's disparaging and uneducated comments.

Finally, did jw raise the issue or a complaint with the committee at the time, what boat was he on, what year did he fish?

The Haberdasher.