Shark charter help

Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:46 pm

So me and a bunch of friends travelled from mayo to west cork this weekend for a shark charter. The service we received was very poor. The tackle left a lot to be desired and the attempt at rubby dubby was a joke need up making my own by the end of day. We are gutted because all the reports of excellent shark fishing in the area. The skipper was arrogant and didn't seem to concerned by the s*** day we had. Drifting over over heavily trawled sand for the day with one cod to show for it. The drift was very slow but can't put it down to just that. I Feel robbed. I'm determined to give it another shot before the seasons out, so any recommendations actions on well experienced charters would be great.. Thanks lads. On a positive note lads P.s West cork what a place :D

Re: Shark charter help

Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:25 pm

if your willing to travel to Dungarvan, Waterford ill forward you on the charter my father and myself always go sharking with. great boat, great gear (if required) and most importantly the Skippers a great angler.

Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:54 pm

That's really a pity to hear!
I have to say "you were unlucky" - There are some fine skippers operating from West Cork and also Cork Harbour. The Bella Vista Self-drive fleet operate too and they all had great shark fishing over the weekend.
Would you send me the name of the skipper/Boat via PM please... Thanks!

Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:22 pm

Would agree with what JimC says above. I was with a group of 17 anglers at the weekend in Cobh. Some brought their own boats, some were in Bellavista boats, and some onboard the Lagosta II with skipper Alan Kennedy. 6 boats and all caught sharks. The reports from other charter boats out over the weekend all reported sharks caught.
I was on the Lagosta and the skipper Alan not only supplied some very good rubby dubby but also tea, coffee and soup and he not only put us on shark but on our second day of species hunting he got us 16 species, worked hard for us all day so I would also be interested in receiving info by PM or email about who the skipper was that abused ye so that I can avoid him. :D
A couple of years back I also had very good shark fishing aboard one of Mark Gannon's boats out of Courtmacsherry. I have also heard good reports about Tom Collins in Union Hall and Nick Dent in Baltimore but have never been out with them.
Sorry you had such a bad experience but don't write off the whole of West Cork over 1 bad apple.

Yappo

Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:46 pm

The West Cork boats that I have heard good things about are:
Tom Collins, Colin Barnes, Mark Gannon including Jim O'Donnell, Nick Dent. Kinsale has a decent fleet as does Cork Harbour....strangely I do not consider Kinsale to be West Cork proper!

There may be other good boats west of Kinsale but the ones above have very good reputations and carry recommendations from fellow anglers.

I suppose the thing to do is to get recommendations on here before booking.

Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:06 am

yappo wrote:Would agree with what JimC says above. I was with a group of 17 anglers at the weekend in Cobh. Some brought their own boats, some were in Bellavista boats, and some onboard the Lagosta II with skipper Alan Kennedy. 6 boats and all caught sharks. The reports from other charter boats out over the weekend all reported sharks caught.
I was on the Lagosta and the skipper Alan not only supplied some very good rubby dubby but also tea, coffee and soup and he not only put us on shark but on our second day of species hunting he got us 16 species, worked hard for us all day so I would also be interested in receiving info by PM or email about who the skipper was that abused ye so that I can avoid him. :D
A couple of years back I also had very good shark fishing aboard one of Mark Gannon's boats out of Courtmacsherry. I have also heard good reports about Tom Collins in Union Hall and Nick Dent in Baltimore but have never been out with them.
Sorry you had such a bad experience but don't write off the whole of West Cork over 1 bad apple.

Yappo

I wouldn't dare right off such an amazing piece of coastline. Lovely people also so there's bound to be great skippers. Such pity it's such a drive from mayo. If only I had a few weeks to spend down there..

Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:28 am

JimC wrote:The West Cork boats that I have heard good things about are:
Tom Collins, Colin Barnes, Mark Gannon including Jim O'Donnell, Nick Dent. Kinsale has a decent fleet as does Cork Harbour....strangely I do not consider Kinsale to be West Cork proper!

There may be other good boats west of Kinsale but the ones above have very good reputations and carry recommendations from fellow anglers.

I suppose the thing to do is to get recommendations on here before booking.

Absolutely JimC thanks. And to all ye for the help and the recommendations. I may book another trip and see can I round up a few anglers from here to Join us to ease the cost?

Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:59 pm

I may book another trip and see can I round up a few anglers from here to Join us to ease the cost?

If you are let me know and I might be able to round up a couple of lads. :D

Yappo