Is the Intex challenger 3 any good for inshore fishing

Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:37 pm

Hi all I'm new to forums in general and trying to get the hang of it so please excuse any breeches of protocol. My question is has anyone used the intex range of mariner inflatable boats? they're certified by the US coastguard I'll be safety kitted out and just going off shore by a few hundred yards from a sandy beach. I know the tides I know the currents, theres a safety mark a natural causeway I can swim to if needs be but the real question is would you put your life in the hands of a boat bought from Argos for £200.

I'm tight for space in the house transport and for money and I know it's entry level boat fishing for amateurs, but it's stowable carryable cheap but my main concern is safety.

Re: Is the Intex challenger 3 any good for inshore fishing

Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:16 am

Welcome!
Let's be clear here... You can go to sea in a bath tub and return safely provided nothing goes wrong. If something does go wrong it is down to the preparation and planning of the occupants. Those that die tend not to be prepared for conditions or eventualities. We are familiar with the chap that took to the water in Clare in a small inflatable... It was terribly rough that day. He had no life jacket. He died.

I would put the Intex in the realm of "kids toy" rather than craft. In context the Lidless/Aldi B- Square would be a craft!
There is nothing to say that the Intex would not have you fishing in safety. That's down to you. Me, I'd save my money for an inflatable of tougher construction and sea keeping ability. But that's just me.

Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:55 am

I can't really add anymore to what JimC has said but the fact that you mention the verb swim answers your question. If you have to think about it then it's unsafe.

For e200 you could get out in safety on a few charters. But don't rely on essentially an unsuitable float tube to get you fishing safely.

Best of luck in whatever you decide and tight lines.

Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:06 am

Thanks all for the input, I'll have to go back to the drawing board and get my kit together.