Your thoughts on the new Maxximus solid C rods

Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:52 pm

Hi folks, I was looking for your wealth of experience to help me decide whether to keep a 20-50 solid C rod or not.

I took advice from a company in England and bought 1 of the new Maxximus boat rods, apparently they were the dogs swingers and are supposed to be really good.

The rod has arrived and to be frank it doesn't look all that strong and it really doesn't instil a great deal on confidence for me, if I hook something with a bit of grunt will I be able to land it.

I'm new to boat fishing and any rods I have borrowed and used have all been more substancial to hold and fish with and this rod is more like a long pencil.

Your views would be greatfully received

Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:58 pm

i have seen one of the solid c rods in use the other week, not sure of class to be fair ,but....it did the job well from what i seen they are a good rod suited to using braid.
at the stated class it should work with 90 % of the fish to be encountered around our shores anyhow!
i know it looks thin, thats because it is! but they seem to have plenty of power in reserve, the guy using it said he has used it for congers, the works.think his may have been a lighter model too!!

Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:55 pm

I don't know that particular rod, but in general I wouldn't worry too much if a rod is up for the job just by looking at it. Only way to tell is to get a decent fish on the end of the line!