donegal bay tope

Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:48 pm

Hi folks, first trip of the year on Sunday.
Launching from killybegs.
We haven't caught tope before and fancy giving it a go.
Does anyone have any tips on where, when, bait etc?
I know just off Donegal town is a hotspot but it's a bit of a trek from killybegs.
Haven't launched the boat from Donegal town before, any information on water levels at low tide and slipway condition will also be appreciated.
Thanks

Re: donegal bay tope

Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:20 am

Mountcharles is meant to be a hot spot but very dangerous if you don't know it with strong tides an shallow water ? Don't fish it myself but would be a wild steam from killybegs! Inver port would be a shorter steam and no need to go round the point head in a small craft if there's a swell ! Local knowledge would be key but sadly I Don't know this area so cant help, tight lines.

Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:19 pm

Thanks fishmad, I'll keep you posted.

Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:20 am

Probably too late for you now but might be useful for the next time....

Mountcharles has a good wide slipway with plenty of room, good parking and no problems.
Heading east (left) towards Donegal Town the channel is wide and well marked. On the way down is oyster farm on your left and to your right is a shallow sand bar. If you venture off the channel heading towards Donegal - do so on the right! average about 5-6m water in the channel at medium tide.

You can fish the whole way down here to the Hassans which is a deep hole of the inner bay just off Murvagh beach where you will find the water going to around 15m deep. Coming from Mountcharles you will see the Hassans between the beach at Murvagh and the two green isles and a red channel marker in the middle of it.

Just off Mountcharles Pier to the west towards Killybegs is a red channel marker which is right beside a deep hole also worth fishing. Stay on the far side of this marker and do not go much closer to the shore as on the shore side it is rocky. Depths of 10m or so here.

If you travel west towards Killybegs the channel is well marked but be extremely careful when you see a very big green marker and a pole with an x on it. The pole is on a rock which is hidden at higher tides. Stick close to the green marker and avoid the rocks! Lots of lobster pots on the far side of the rocks. This area has wrasse, pollock and mackerel etc. Have also caught squid here.

Of course leaving Mountcharles Pier towards Killybegs red markers on your right and keep green on your left.
Heading towards Donegal Town going east keep green on your right and red on the left.

It's mostly a sandy bottom with no major snags.

I have never fished for tope so I'm only guessing but I've always heard that the place to get them was to fish from Mountcharles Pier channel to the Hassans, probably using Mackerel as bait I'd imagine. But there is no mackerel in yet but hopefully not far away... the deep water around the Hassans area is where I would target...

Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:57 pm

Thanks Donegalorkney.
That's a lot of information.
I'll check out mountcharles slipway.

Also, we got loads of mackerel at teelin on Sunday.
Very surprised.

Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:40 pm

Fished the channel here lately. Crabs left nothing but a skeleton of the half mackerel within minutes