Bluefin Tuna

Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:31 pm

Reports from the west and Northwest that the Bluefin Tunas are back.

Re: Bluefin Tuna

Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:44 pm

Yes there seems to be a lot of reports.
It will be interesting to see if IFI & SPFA will come up with some scheme for C&R fishing. Seems a shame not to!

Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:51 pm

I don't think it's up to IFI & SFPA. Apparently we're not allowed to sportfish for them because Ireland has no commercial quota, which seems ridiculous. The European quota has been drastically reduced in recent years, and the countries that have traditionally plundered this stock (Malta, Italy etc etc) don't want us going after them with rod and line. I spent quite a few days chasing Tunas last Autumn, and I can honestly say that given the amount of fish I saw, sportfishing would have no discernible effect on the stock.

Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:42 am

Ifi press release
http://www.fisheriesireland.ie/Press-re ... eason.html

Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:41 pm

Thanks for that Rushnaldo. It would appear that IFI's hands are tied.

Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:29 am

Any initiative by IFI to develop a catch and release fishery for recreational fishers in Irish waters will demand strict catch-and release protocols with obligatory catch logging and reporting to the International Commission for the Conservation of Atlantic Tunas (ICCAT). Such a proposal from Ireland will need the input and support of Ireland’s regulatory maritime agencies to prepare a submission for consideration by the Scientific Committee ICCAT and the European Commission.

In the meantime, any Bluefin Tuna mortalities arising from fish accidentally caught in the course of angling must be notified to SFPA who are charged with the enforcement of the above regulations. The fish will be confiscated and disposed of.

Susan Steele, Chair of the SFPA said: “Ireland does not have a direct fishery for Bluefin Tuna in Ireland. Ireland does have a 1% by catch of Bluefin Tuna as part of the Northern Albacore fishery. The vessels that partake in the Northern Albacore fishery must obtain a specific fishing authorisation from the Department of Agriculture, Food & Marine. For anyone engaged in sports or recreational sea angling this means that if a Bluefin Tuna is caught while sea angling it has to be immediately released as the fish cannot be targeted or landed by an Irish boat.”

I'd say lots of trolling for porbeagle going on... :shock: :wink:

Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:45 pm

Bluefin Tuna accidentally caught while sea angling?

Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:43 am

Rob Millard wrote:Bluefin Tuna accidentally caught while sea angling?

:D Gilling for Bluefin!

Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:46 am

Yeah, I wuz just testing out me marlin gear, yer honnor.........

Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:09 pm

Still Tuna showing off Donegal now. Could be a massive tourist angling business for catch and release

Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:02 pm

They don't seem to be showing on the surface as much as they were last year, although there still seems to be plenty of them around all the same. There were lots of saury last year which the Tuna chase up to the surface and bust, but they're absent this year. The theory is that the Tuna are feeding on herring this year, so they're down a bit deeper. I agree, we should be allowed sport fish for them.

Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:18 pm

Very tight to the shore also. Busts seen 30 yards from the shore in south donegal. Interesting theory on the herrings because lots of Bluefin are down in the Celtic sea herring shoals south of Dunmore east

Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:22 pm

I was offshore all day today - not a sighting all day long.

Some nice codling about though.

Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:18 pm

They were showing in south donegal yest