Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:08 pm

WOW :!: :!: :!: What a site. Ask a simple question and get bombarded with answers. thanks lads great help geo

Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:11 pm

ray wrote:oh don't get me wrong adrian will definately get you on the fish but when i was out with him one of the party was repremanded for not fully flushing the marine toilet after taking a pee and the damn boat is that clean you get embarassed if a fish bleeds on the deck! as for the cabin --its probably best if you dont go in (you might smell of fish!)
when i go out yes i want fish but at least as important is that i have an enjoyable day, a relaxing day, if i want to be told off for comming inside with dirty feet i'd stay at home and save £50!

Perhaps if more anglers were careful in the way they treated the boats they charter skippers would have no need to reprimand anyone.
Many anglers feel that chartering a boat entitles them to treat it like a dustbin. An average modern charter boat costs in excess of 200,000 euro and it is extremely annoying to see anglers cutting bait on the gunwhales, on the engine box and anywhere except the cutting boards! Many anglers also dump unused bait on the deck, come aboard wearing muddy boats they last used when digging the garden and treat the marine toilet as if it were the local dump. If some of the dirty anglers all charter skippers sometimes get as clients had to clean up the mess they might think twice about the way they behave !!

Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:40 pm

well admol (adrian molloy?)much of what you say i have no argument with, especially the use of bait boards and my other favourite, lose leads swinging about knocking hell out of the gell coat but i like to relax when i'm out and i'm sorry but sea angling is a messy business, fish slime, blood (and why do they always s*** the moment you get them aboard?) and since i like to eat my catch i gut it as soon as possible (most of the 200 000 euro boats don't have ice on board! and after 6hours in the august sun an ungutted fish is well near inedible)so adrian (if it is you) enjoy your finely dressed hurray-henry's in their expensive wet suits and their fine table manners and i'll take my custom to someone who has a working boat and not a floating tackle display cabinet.

Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:43 am

A professional charter skipper posting on these forums can only be welcome and an asset to the site, so if admol is such a rare beast, can everyone treat him nicely until he gets the feel of the site and it's denizens?

I think we're all big enough around here to respect each other's opinions.

admol

Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:17 am

Hi

I'd like to second Tanglerat's comments.

There are only a handful of the charter skippers posting on this forum, despite my best efforts and the wealth of knowledge they have about the grounds, fishing tactics and the like should not be thrown away because they're a bit picky about their boat. It's their boat, and as ray clearly puts it, if the experience is not to your liking you can go elsewhere.

The charter fleet now offers a lot of different choices from mackerel bashers up to tuna hunters and everything in between...

If admol is the real admol, (shades of slimshady :wink: ) you're more than welcome m8... and that is with no disrespect meant to ray either.

Like many things here, we can agree to disagree

FWIW...

Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:35 pm

Dont think that because someone wants to look after their boat makes them a bad person ,just think if your in a taxi on a saturday night ,just cos your paying him for a lift home it entitles you to get in and make a mess (like puking for example ) they charge extra for that . A boat is just the same except the skipper doesn't charge to clean up after your mess !
You should appreciate their rules , and at least there was a working toilet onboard :lol:
As for hurray henrys in wet suits ,divers are the worst when it comes to damaging boats what with bottles strapped to their backs and weights belts ,plus any i've worked with dont give a toss about boats ,they just use them as a platform to get from a - b .
Rant over :evil:

Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:56 pm

welcome to the forums adrian, good to have you on board!

have to agree with you, if anglers do make a bit of a mess with on thing and another as always happens, they should at least have the courtesy to help at least to leave the boat in the condition they boarded it and use it and treat it with respect.

Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:57 am

Hi,
I did not intend to offend Ray or any of the others in his group on the (only) day he fished from my boat. I am not being personal in my comments and they are only a generalisation. During a busy season a skipper has to clean up many a mess and sometimes it may not be the offender who gets it in the neck from the frustrated skipper who has spent hours the previous evening cleaning up. I am a firm believer in the adage that a clean boat is a safe boat and I will always endeavour to ensure that my boat is exactly that - clean and safe !
Fishing is a dirty business and nobody including myself expects things to be spotless but I do feel that we all have a responsibility of care whether a client or a skipper. The days of dirty old badly kept charter boats are gone (thank god) and because of the regulations now in force in Ireland are unlikely to return. Apologies to you and any of your friends Ray that I may have offended and I hope you find the type of skipper and boat you are looking for. For my part I intend to keep the cleanest charter boat in Donegal,
all the best to you.
Adrian Molloy

Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:28 am

Might be an idea :idea:, then, if somebody (hint, hint) wrote a guide to charter boat etiquette - for those who don't realise that the engine box is not the place to cut bait, throwing yourself your length in the wheelhouse in a set of soaking and filthy oilskins is not a good thing etc.

A lot of what skippers see as bad manners probably stems from ignorance and thoughtlessness on the part of anglers, rather than out and out disrespect for the boat and crew.

Most of it is good manners and common sense, but if it's spelt out, at least no-one frome this forum should have any excuse......

Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:35 am

kieran wrote:Geo

I think you have raised a fair point. I have been disappointed with the aattitude of some skippers who simply drift fish or anchor up on an inshore mark for blatantly average fish (that can be taken off the shore on off a dinghy) because it's easy and most punters are happy with that.

I think if you want to improve the quality of the fishing, talk to a skipper, give him (sorry Mary!) some loyalty over a period of years and as they get to know you, and see the business returning they will start to plan trips a bit better, ask what you want to do and deliver accordingly. We're now to the point with one skipper wherein we'll have a pint with him a week beforehand and plan the trip in some details, identifying options depending on weather, checking tide, local reports... so long as you do some of the groundwork and not expect a busy skipper to be doing all of it for you, I think you will find the standard of service improving...

People complain after a trip that they did not get what they wanted but did you state explicitly beforehand what you were looking for?

Kieran you have hit the nail on the head, skippers face this problem all the time, at this stage when anglers come aboard my boat, before i even throw off the ropes i ask them what the plan is for the day - if they are local they will have a plan in mind, and if they are not local i will give them options and all the relevent information to help them come to a decision.