Recomendations please...

Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:53 pm

Hi All,
Heading out to Caherdaniel on Friday with some friends :D , looking to try and go out on our first boat fishing trip. Could anyone recomend someone to use? :?:

Cheers

Owen

Re: Recomendations please...

Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:23 pm

Here is a similar thread, posted not too long ago, so it still should be of some validity:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=34684
Another link with lots of info for the area: http://www.fishinginireland.info/charterboats/kerry.htm

Anyway, from what I'm guessing - you are all newbies to boat fishing, so your skipper might oblige for a small fee and surely has a few handy tips in relation to tackle.
Otherwise bring a 20-30lb boat rod with an adequate multiplier reel like a Penn525 or Slosh20 and you are sorted for most species you are likely to encounter.
Line? 25-30lb should see you covered in most cases. If you go for shark or conger up it to 40-50lb. Use steel biting traces and a rubbing leader no less than 150lb and 6ft long and ball bearing swivels.
Tackle? Pack a good few 8-12oz weights, couple of marine grade swivels, some beads, 60-80lb line for rig bodies, couple of rigging booms, 30lb line for snoods and a few hooks from size 1.0 to 4.0
Maybe a few ready made feather or sabiki rigs if you like the fancy and easy stuff. Shamrock tackle have it honed to an art and it's easy to spend the worth of a small car if you get lost.
They work well in the right conditions, even unbaited. I always have a few in my box.
Bait? You can't go wrong with fresh mackerel belly strips and rag worm. Sandeel and squid is another good standby. Peeler crab and lugworm are deadly in the right conditions. A couple of jelly worms or other artificial soft baits twitched off the bottom in slack tides can improve the fishing drastically if nothing else goes. Try to bait the hooks for additional attraction.
And just in case, if you haven't grown your sea legs yet, which I gather from your question: don't overdo it on the auld gargle the night before. You most certainly will regret that. A couple of seasickness tablets might come in handy anyway.
Nothing worse than being the target of jokes, giggles and overall enjoyment on your first trip. Don't waste your money. Last but not least, bring a life jacket. Should go without saying but it is easily forgotten in the excitement. Tight lines and enjoy the experience. You'll be hooked for sure.