gps/fish finder questions

Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:59 pm

needing to get both for new boat,un sure whats best to get?looking at the garmin ones that does both such as

http://www.marineparts.ie/electronics/g ... -451s.html

anyone use or know if there good or whats the best to go for?do i need and aeril for the above gps or just transom sensor?

Re: gps/fish finder questions

Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:44 pm

I recently got the Garmin 551. I would recommend this one as it has a bigger screen. You'll need to get the transducer if you intend to use the sounder. It's an extra 70 quid or so. Ariel/ antennae not required as its integrated into the unit. I'm very happy with mine as its idiot proof to use.

Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:38 pm

for fishing i using 2 separate units garmin 451 and furuno ls4100,coz i cant aford all in one with a 8inch screen.if you split the screen on 451s for gps and sounder,you probably see less informations and will get less futures than using 2 separate 4inch screens.

Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:55 pm

Latest combi is the Garmin Echomap range:
The Echomap 50 is superb

Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:07 pm

flibustjer wrote:for fishing i using 2 separate units garmin 451 and furuno ls4100,coz i cant aford all in one with a 8inch screen.if you split the screen on 451s for gps and sounder,you probably see less informations and will get less futures than using 2 separate 4inch screens.

had been thinking off 2seprate one but garim echo map 50 look top job

Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:08 pm

JimC wrote:Latest combi is the Garmin Echomap range:
The Echomap 50 is superb

looks job in fairness for money and still cheaper than others

Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:27 pm

DAMIEN wrote:
JimC wrote:Latest combi is the Garmin Echomap range:
The Echomap 50 is superb

looks job in fairness for money and still cheaper than others

Inbuilt chart too!

Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:08 pm

If your going for a combo unit try to to get a 7 inch display to you can see good detail in split screen mode. For me 2 x 5 inch units is perfect. The Garmin range is excellent and gives you the added advantage of uploading your track data and waypoints onto your laptop for safe storage or homework :)