Abu Sovereign Boat Rods - or something similar

Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:34 am

Has anybody used any of the soverign range? Was thinking it would be nice to find one under the tree. Or if you haven't used them what is your favourite boat rod and why?

Pete

Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:47 am

Have the 12/20 version and by far it’s my favourite boat rod. Super action, beautiful design. The rod unlike a lot of rods was built in conjunction with Anglers and their specific requirements, the UK team to be precise. Really recommend them.

favorite rod

Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:25 pm

Pete,
Favorite rod, with out doubt is the Penn Dynabraid 20-30, Its an absolute belter rod. Have also got the Tidecutter 12-20, another cracker, based on the same blank. Am home on the 20th so you can have a look/play with them if you fancy.
I bought an ABU uptider last year, it too is a quality peice of kit. the one with the twist and shortening handle. (Have an ABU 12lb class rod, which is a lovely little rod that my nephew uses) - no bother with any ABU gear.
Tight lines, and we'll get a run out of Fahan sorted at the end of the month - which boat is yours Pete?
Paul

Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:30 am

Pete, if you mean the Abu Suveran boat rod.... I've had a go with the 12-20 and 20-30 class rods. Don't actually own one myself (yet!) but they're a fantastic bit of kit. You'd be very very happy to find one under the Christmas tree. Only reason I hadn't bought one is I reckoned it just a bit overpriced at Stg£130, so I was waiting for the price to drop.

My longtime favourite rod is the Shakespear 1480 15lb UglyStick. Extremely versatile for all sorts of situations.

Last couple of years I've been playing a bit with a couple of rods from NorthWestern, an English firm. A 12lb class and a 20lb class. Both very nice.

Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:51 pm

very nice rods indeed but i still wouldnt look past the conolon range with abu either as they are a crackin rod for the price. like the team daiwa x range myself but as with the suveran they are a bit pricey.so many good rods out there for the right price but it all depends what you are looking to get out of them as well

Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:42 am

Just seen the new Greys Longboat. For the money they are hard to fault