Doggie Trace?

Sun Mar 14, 2004 6:11 pm

Can any one explain to me the best trace to use to catch dogfish in boat competitons? What size hooks, should you use muppets, and if so what colour and size would be best?

Doggies

Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:32 pm

George,
Tried a reply but it didn't arrive. Here goes again:

Try a three hook ledger of about 4'. Experiment with the length to find what suits your area and what is most manageable from the boat. 2/0 or 3/0 wire hooks (something strong like Mustad 3261). Some lumi beads,blades and/or some tubing will probably help. Mackerel would be the prefered bait in Cork. Try a onion bag of bits with your anchor to lure them in.

Tight Lines,
Jim.

tips

Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:46 pm

I would agree with all that Jim says. Also have a look at 'Know Your Species' on the 'Fishing Channel 9 ' website. You might find something usefull there http://www.fishingchannel9.dnsdyn.net

Hiya Luke

Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:38 pm

Hiya Luke

At the risk of having to repeat myself, I have no problem with people advocating or even advertising another website, commercial or free, so long as in doing this, you offer some advice on this forum. I do not think this is unreasonable! :roll: :roll: :roll:

Thanks

Doggies

Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:41 pm

Hi George

Think to remember about doggies is that they rarely stir themselves off the bottom and that they do not like really rough conditions being relatively small fish. Around howth you find they are more active over low water, scavenging around in surprisingly shallow water. The PPukc rock, to the right towards the bird colony is a good spot but the rocks on Balscadden will offer lots of dogfish. A relatively small smelly bait works best as they hunt a lot by scent rather than eyesight - very small eyes.

Hope this helps...

Doggies

Fri Mar 19, 2004 4:59 pm

Hi Kieran, that was not my intention merely that Jim pretty much summed it up. I will say however that Doggies do tend to avoid rocks! The old Huss now is a different matter but the doggy likes sand and a mixture of sand and shell. They do indeed seem to like calmer waters but in my experience there are so many of them its rare that you can draw a comparrison. Doggies when around in numbers are EVERYWHERE. When wreck fishing at anchor we use doggies as an indication that the current has moved us away from the wreck. Doggies do not seem to like rough ground much. Having said that there will always be that exception when someone will beg to differ from their experience. Anyway I have found this to be true. On a further note, some charter skippers will tell you that when inspecting the stomach of Conger eels, by far the most often found fish is the doggy! strange this...

Skate Bait

Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:23 pm

I've heard dogfish are a good skate bait. Is this a myth?

skate biats

Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:48 pm

Hi George

Not a myth - they are the preferred bait for the big Common Skate at the mouth of Westport harbour in Clew Bay. You catch buckets of them when you put down mackerel baits in the same marks. Up in Donegal they said 5 day old mackerel was the ideal skate bait... rather them than me! :shock:

Re: Doggies

Tue Apr 06, 2004 6:42 pm

jimc wrote:George,
Tried a reply but it didn't arrive. Here goes again:

Try a three hook ledger of about 4'. Experiment with the length to find what suits your area and what is most manageable from the boat. 2/0 or 3/0 wire hooks (something strong like Mustad 3261). Some lumi beads,blades and/or some tubing will probably help. Mackerel would be the prefered bait in Cork. Try a onion bag of bits with your anchor to lure them in.

Tight Lines,
Jim.

Are you allowed the onion bag rubbydubby when fishing competitions? I thought not.

Re: Doggies

Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:11 pm

Are you allowed the onion bag rubbydubby when fishing competitions? I thought not.[/quote]

In any comps I fish in this is not a problem. We fish from our own boats so it's really up to yourself.(we also use 2 rods per angler). I don't fish IFSA comps so I'm not sure if they have rules against.

Cheers,
Jim.