What could this trawler be after??

Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:07 pm

I've just seen a trawler in Dublin Bay approximately 1/2 to 1 mile at the most out from Sandymount strand. He was actually in past the tide full out line and was circling in failrly tight circles very slowly.
What could he be fishing for here? Bass, flats, mullet shellfish?? As I say he was circling slowly, it was a small trawler about 25ft long.

What could he be after? Is circling like that a way of trawling for a particular species?

Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:12 pm

Sounds like he might have been fishing razorfish. I know there is a fishery of Gormanstown.

Pete

Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:02 pm

If the boat was working inside the low water mark, it is more than likely after cockles, the boats up my way moved on to these after the razors became scarse. As there is no managment of these beds, the cockles will become scarse very soon, I hate to think what these boats will target then.

Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:17 am

are the cockles in Dublin bay of any use to anyone? are they safe?!

Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:05 pm

i dont tink there safe mark.as i was digging at the wooden bridge a while ago and 2 chinese man were walking up the steps with sacks full of cockles and a man (prusemble someone to do with enviorment) pulled up in a van and told them to put them back that they are un safe to eat....