Norway - has anybody been or can give advice

Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:05 pm

Lads,
I'm intending to go in 2006 and was wondering had anybody on the forum been? I've spoken to a couple of the tour operators at this stage so I'm thinking of heading to northern Norwary, seemingly bigger fish there. Any experience or advice would be much appreciated.

Pete

Norway

Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:09 pm

email derek evans in the Irish Times, he wrote a nice piece on it in the Irishman's Diary during the week. Very reasonable chap, happy to help.

I think his email is angling@irish-times.ie but not sure...

Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:50 pm

PM Tanglerat too, he's either been there or knows someone who has !

Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:03 pm

try ronald surgenor?i think he was either there or his mates were last year.

Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:10 pm

conor h wrote:Tanglerat too, he's either been there or knows someone who has !

:D

Yeah.............. 8)

I didn't get the big cod that I was after, I think my biggest was about 15 lbs. But that was just my luck :( and lack of skill, mebbe :oops: cos I saw plenty bigguns caught. Up to about 45 lbs :P

In fact, I'm quite proud of the wee-est cod I've ever seen, caught him when I was trying for Halibut. Musta been all of 4 ounces!

I was up in Coppangen, way up North. Two flights from Heathrow, a ferry ride and a bus ride to get there. Literally the end of the road up a fjord, it was.

Fish caught (not all by me!) were Cod, Coalie, Halibut, Norwegian Haddock (bright red things, and mighty tasty) Torsk (Artic Slugs, we ended up calling them) and Wolffish.

It's expensive, but well worth it for the experience. 24 hour daylight so 24 hour fishing, magnificent scenery, and the chance of a fish of a lifetime. 1lb pirks in 600 feet of water........... :P

Actually, I've a mate who guides English Anglers to Norway. He was so helpful and handy in the fishing party that the tour company hired him to help out.

If you want his details let me know. He'd be well worth a chatting with.

Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:27 pm

Fished skervoy in may this year ,loads of cod in the 7/12lb region ,wolf fish,torsk(pain in the ass!!),coalies and a couple of halibut ,our biggest cod of the trip was in the twentys but there were some german anglers fishing with really light pirks who were hammering big cod up to 60lb+ .
You dont need heavy gear 12/20lb class is ideal as its cleanish ground and most of the fish came from the shallow ground 100feet or so and all the big cod came from mid water region so you can play them without worry of snagging the bottom .
we got a charter boat for one day and had 500kilos plus of cod between 4 rods and that didn't include the under-sized fish (any-thing less than 6lb)
we're haeding back next july to the same place ,think its working out about 700 quid a head for 2 chalets and three boats for the week between 8 of us.
definetly worth the effort .

Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:00 pm

Skervoy in May? I had a couple of mates there then.

You didn't happen to bump into Kipper Gill, Andy or The monk when you were there?

Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:40 am

Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated.

Pete

Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:22 pm

just to let you know-we're just back from 5 days in oslo.

lovely city, good food, great people BUT bloody hell its expensive.

ie £5 glass of beer in pub. £9 glass of wine, approx £25-£35 main course in average restaruant.