Wrecking reel line

Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:13 pm

I have a Penn Formula 10Kg twin speed boat multiplier, what line would be best to load it with for wreck fishing, it is currently loaded with 30lb line but was considering loading it with 40lb to allow for abrasion.

Thanks

Lee

Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:41 am

Lee,
I haven't done a whole pile of wrecking but when i did i just used 40lb braid and found it fine. Tanglerat does a right bit of fishing out of Port na Blagh he might have more wreckin experience seeing as that north donegal coast is full of wrecks.

Pete

Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:46 am

a braid of around 40-50lb will do all your general wreck work, id advise 50-65 lb tho just incase you hit into a couple of big ling or a big conger or something. i use a 4/0 high speed senator loaded with 65lb dynon xf which is only about 20 quid a spool from the boys at glenoe!

Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:21 am

Would you go with the braid rather than mono, know about the benefits of no stretch etc. but read somewhere that the cushioning effect that mono gives is a big advantage when targeting large/fast moving fish.

Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:25 am

not at that depth. the real advantage is that u can use less lead as the drag is less on the braid!

Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:27 am

cheers, used to have the reel loaded with 30lb braid and found it very good, was just thinking of going a bit heavier to take advantage of the strength of the reel.

Nothing wrong with living in hope! :lol:

Lee

Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:28 am

yeah but sure your reel is lever drag to allow for the use of braid for such species.havent used mono on the boat for years, some use a mono shockleader to give a bit of stretch, i dont bother, i just use a rod that has a nice tip for cushioning fish and a correctly set drag.get rid of the mono!!

the only out and out application for mono is as you say though for shark fishing on the surface and the like as far as im concerned, but hey, those are only my thoughts, everybody to their own!

Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:31 am

Did somebody say shark?

Never caught one of those - well, dogfish don't really count!

Cheers guys, much appreciated.

Lee

Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:48 pm

10-12ft of mono is a must when fishing over wrecks or rough ground. this is not used for stretch while playing a fish but to save your braid from been shredded off the coral and shells. I would use a mono less than the breaking strain of the braid this gives you every chance of getting back all your braid (if you) when you get snagged. also try using lighter line (20lb) onto the lead weight to cut the losses even more. a good 7ft 6in 20-30lb class rod will take the kick out of any big fish.

Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:48 pm

Braid for Gilling a wreck; braid or mono for Pirking it, depending on depth. Anything more than 200 feet deep, use braid.

Mind you, it's what you find works best for yourself. Wrecking can be brutal on gear, so it's best to go a bit hefty. 30lb braid or 40 lb mono is about right.

Personally, I use 20lb braid, but then again I like light lines.

Sounds like you have it sussed.

Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:36 am

Must start off by saying that I have no experience of wrecking but do have much experience of fishing rough ground from the boat.

I find that rough ground is very harsh on braid and breaks frequently arise, leaving a frayed end. Eveb when using a 'wear' leader.

I also must say that I have had some ( quite a few ) bad experiences with braid and multipliers. A small braid bind or tangle on a multiplier can be a nightmare to sort.

Where I fish the tide pull is not so great so the extra thickness of mono does not cause a problem.

Fishing a clean bottom from the boat I like to use braid, but using a fixed spool reel.

Peter

Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:17 pm

Peter your promlem could be caused by letting the line get too far back from the boat while drifting. This narrows the angle of the the line often getting the leader line below the higher points on the reef or wreck.

Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:40 am

if it gets frayed just cut a couple of metres off and re tie snap link?