Roll on Tuesday :)

Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:47 pm

Hi all

After 2 months of preparation its nearly time. On Tuesday morning at 07.30 I will be boarding the Larne /Cairnryan ferry... on the first stage of my journey to collect " Clarion " from Petershead, Aberdeenshire.
Am returning on the 07.30 on Wednesday mornig, was trying to get the 04.15 but there were no trailer spaces left :(
So hopefully, touch wood, cross fingers etc I will have her home on Wednesday morning :)

Im sooooooooooooo excited its like christmas morning all over again :D

Clarion

[img]http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/1341/clarion7zl.jpg[/img]

Andy

Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:57 pm

Fine looking Vessel, hope all goes smoothly for ya :D
Congrats

Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:58 pm

good luck with the drive, i hope the heaters working in your landrover, youll need it in aberdeen :lol:
cheers steve

Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:02 pm

8) Good Luck with the New Vessel Sir....

Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:03 pm

Just had the seller on the phone, I had requested the length, height and beam on the trailer for the return ferry booking.

30 feet long ,14 feet high and 10 feet wide :shock:

plus the long wheel base landrover that pulling her

should make the journey "interesting"

anyone know how to teach a dog to read maps ? :D

Andy
Last edited by b0ogaloo on Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:51 pm

Good luck with the new vessel. Just one thing to check, is it road legal to tow at 10ft beam, here is a good thread on boatmad.com
http://www.boatmadforum.co.uk/forum/sho ... eadid=4159

forwarned is forarmed

Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:10 pm

good luck with the boat mate ,any help i can give you just give me a ring.

Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:12 pm

whoops...it seems to be 6" too wide

ermmmm ........ ??????? anyone got a planer I could borrow :D

I could always send the dog out in front with a red flag...barking "wide load"

Sure its only 300 odd miles .....

Dont have to be back in Cairnryan until 06.45 on wednesday morning..if needs be i'll drive back late at night when theres less traffic

I'll stop at the local plod station and see what they say ....

thanks for the link "guest "

Andy

Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:52 pm

Whoa! great looking boat, something i could only dream of, a money making machine. :shock: 8)

Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:06 am

Livid wrote:Whoa! great looking boat, something i could only dream of, a money making machine. :shock: 8)

Ermm I think you mean a money eating machine :D

Andy

Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:55 am

just stick a wide load sign on her and shell be mint!!
ive got the proper reflective strip for you if u want get the black marker to it!!

The long trek

Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:43 am

That, b0ogaloo, is a fine looking bit of kit.

Probably a bit late in the day for my comments but they may be worthy of consideration.

I would not be happy to tow a 'new' rig at night. ( Current high pressure is conducive to fog and/or mist at the time of your travel ) Boat trailer boards and associated lighting are, in my experience, full of ongoing problems. Also the trailer and wheel hubs will need checking at hourly intervals during the travel period.

Would advocate spare trailer wheel, tie down for back of boat, good lamp and tool kit. Oh - look at jockey wheel, mine likes to descend when travelling.

Check insurance covers the boat whilst being trailered.

As for steve t's 'heater working' comment, I don't think it makes much difference whether it's working or not. Thats my experience with LRs.

Good luck,

Peter

Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:19 am

Hi b0ogaloo
Sorry I was the guest, must have got logged out when i crunched the cookies. Travel during the day for definate, if plod sees you at night he will cruicify you. It would probably have worked out cheaper if you could have got a haulier with a low loader comming back home empty, they will do you a cheap backload just to get diesel and shipping money home.

Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:43 am

Fine boat Andy, I'm sure it will give you hours of great fishing. I think you said your mooring her at Fahan, give us a shout sometime as I'm moored there too. I wouldn't tow her at night time until I was familar with the trailer and how it would handle, maybe better to stay extra days in Scotland and tow by day.

Pete

Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:33 am

Thanks for all your advice

I have already bought another wheel , a lighting board , 3x 10 ton ratchets and straps ...and 2 guttermounted revolving beacons .
The trailer was serviced last month .... I have a scan of the receipt
Boat insurance cost a few extra quid for the trailered bit , but thats also covered
as for the Landy .... Its a defender 110xs .. its got heated seats ....so i'll be warm enough
:D

again thanks for all the advice, much appreciated

Andy

Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:08 pm

beacons and all big man??!people will think its a tractor and silage trailer comin at them at dark! :lol: enjoy your trip mate.

Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:19 pm

hi boogaloo, good luck with your new boat,i got mine in july and its still like my birthday and christmas come together,it looks a very good boat,i bought a bayliner trophy,and a new rollercoaster trailer which looks very similar to the one in the photo,its over the ton weight,and a little difficult to tow with a trooper,make sure you get a good bottle jack,i got one and had a flat plate welded to the top and two bars each side to stop it from slipping when changing the wheel,money well spent,good luck dezzer.....

Im outta here :)

Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:46 am

Stupid Banks :evil:

I discovered today when I was in the bank, setting up the wire transfer, that it has to be sent before 12 noon for it to clear that day.... so now booked on 04.15 ferry, which means I will be leaving here in 20 minutes or so.

Good thing is though that its a slower boat, so the crossing will take 1hr 45mins...get some much needed sleep

Hope its not like last time I got this early boat, packed full of gypsies and screaming kids trying to sell me dogs, generators and power tools the entire trip .

Right folks i'm outta here ............... back on wednesday ..I hope

Peterhead to Belfast or bust

Andy

good luck

Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:52 pm

Andy,
Good luck with the drive over and back!
Looking forward to getting her down to Fahan - hopefully get a few wreck trips arranged should the old weather stay like this until January. Pete as well if you see this and Hogie (If you have your boat back in again after its bottom scrub!)
A landrover with heated seats eh!!! Posh or what. My dad has a short wheel base Landrover 90, it has torn seats but no heating!!!
Have a good run over - no overtaking!
Cheers
Paul

Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:18 pm

650 miles later ......... im back

And I brought this with me

[img]http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/9930/image117fl.jpg[/img]
Leaving from Peterhead

[img]http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/6016/image122qv.jpg[/img]
Arriving at her temporary home for a few weeks

engine service,bit of cleaning and a new transducer... off to Fahan

Im absolutley and utterly knackered