Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:20 pm

People:ME MICK RAB AND JONNY

Duration:

Tide:

Weather:SUPPOSED TO BE GOOD

Bait:

Rigs:

Results:HOPING

GOING TO CARLINFORD LOUGH THIS WEEKEND FOR A SPOT OF BOAT FISHING ON PICES ANYONE FISHED HERE RECENTLY?

Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:51 pm

this is novel a future tense report!!!
have not fished carlingford this year but i have never been impressed by it, great if you hit tope otherwise a bit grim. if this is the boat i think it is i was out with him years ago fantastic boat, and the skipper was a great guy but unfortunately a great guy who had a lot to learn about angling (i think that he was from a diving background)but as i said it has been years since i was out with him so maybe he has caught up.

Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:34 pm

raymondo wrote:this is novel a future tense report!!!
have not fished carlingford this year but i have never been impressed by it, great if you hit tope otherwise a bit grim. if this is the boat i think it is i was out with him years ago fantastic boat, and the skipper was a great guy but unfortunately a great guy who had a lot to learn about angling (i think that he was from a diving background)but as i said it has been years since i was out with him so maybe he has caught up.

ACCORDING TO HIS DESCRIPTION HE WAS A COMMERCIAL FISHERMAN FROM YEARS AGO AND KNOWS HIS SPOTS HOPE THE FISHING HAS IMPROVED FINGERS CROSSED

Carlingford

Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:37 pm

8 seasoned and experienced anglers from my club went up there a few weeks ago. They went after hearing that large tope were up there. All they caught for the entire day was mackerel. The skipper dropped his anchor in the bay and wouldn't move despite the guys catching no fish whatsoever.

They were disgusted with the fishing and the charter skipper. And, they make no bones about telling all and sundry, so Carlingford's reputation is not so good right now.

Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:16 pm

I am passionate about Carlingford lough, Cranfield was and still is like a second home to me but unless you target tope, it is a useless place to fish unless you want to mackrel bash mid july - september. I watched charters all summer long and they fished basically 3-4 marks the whole season. Some will not even venture over the bar mouth at cranfield point if there is a bit of a swell on. I would love to see their faces if you asked them to do a charter of Swilly into the Atlantic :lol:

Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:13 am

was the boatman oliver finnegan? i seem to recall that was the name of the guy that took us out and spent over an hour looking for a wreck that he claimed to have "the numbers" for, he never found it and claimed that it must have moved!(hope he told the admiralty of this wandering hazard to shipping!)

Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:46 am

Are you sure it was not Oliver Hardy and his sidekick Stan Laurel. I think I would have fallen overboard laughing if i had have heard that one :lol:

Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:48 pm

raymondo wrote:was the boatman oliver finnegan? i seem to recall that was the name of the guy that took us out and spent over an hour looking for a wreck that he claimed to have "the numbers" for, he never found it and claimed that it must have moved!(hope he told the admiralty of this wandering hazard to shipping!)

The boatman is peyton cunningham wring any bells

Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:54 pm

[quote="raymondo"]was the boatman oliver finnegan? i seem to recall that was the name of the guy that took us out and spent over an hour looking for a wreck that he claimed to have "the numbers" for, he never found it and claimed that it must have moved!(hope he told the admiralty of this wandering hazard to shipping!)[/qu

SOMEBODY PLEASE TELL ME SOMETHING GOOD ABOUT THIS PLACE PLEASE IM THINKING OF CANCELLING

Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:09 pm

weather is supposed to be crap for this sunday anyways so doesn't look like any fishing is going to be happening in carlingford.

Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:13 pm

Anonymous wrote:weather is supposed to be crap for this sunday anyways so doesn't look like any fishing is going to be happening in carlingford.

IM NOT INTERESTED AFTER READING THESE REPORTS SO I THINK I MIGHT HAVE TO TRY AND ORGANISE ANOTHER BOAT ASAP

Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:12 pm

peyton plaice? no sorry never heard of him but please don't cancell, if you don't like him or the area by all means don't go back, but i think it is really bad "form" to cancel. on the bright side there may still be a few tope/ray kicking about.

Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:58 pm

Never fished there, never been there, but I heard from a guy in the know that there's Bass in there.

Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:26 pm

BASSSSSS! - tee hee I am a Dutchman.
We can always live in hope........I wish

Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:49 pm

Hello Dutchy!

http://www.hardyfishing.com/news/news_a ... article=34

http://www.worldseafishing.com/forums/s ... php?t=3508

:wink:

Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:45 pm

Hi Tanglerat
Nothing in those links worth note, fly fishing in August, no results and mick or mike the fish, is he on drugs, sorry I do not mean to be rude.........but?

Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:40 pm

Point I was making: there are Bass in there, and they can be caught.

Since I've never been there, I'm relying on info passed to me by a very respected angler. I don't know the marks myself, but from what he told me, look for a stony, rocky shore with plenty weed cover and fish it on a rising tide at dusk and dawn. He's a SWFF man himself, but he told me bait and lures will do the job too.

If you would like more info, pm me your email addy and I'll send him an email, copied to you, asking him to elaborate.

I'm not going to mention his name yet :!:

Sat Sep 24, 2005 7:05 pm

Final result
Blew off - I would imagine

Sun Oct 02, 2005 1:44 pm

I fished on Pisces 2 with Peyton Cunningham last year, Great Craic, 2 Tope Hooked, 1 Landed, My first! 32lb, Small but fun....
4 Anglers had 1 Rod Each down for the Tope as well as another baited for the like of the Codling.... Heard there were a few Huss to be had out of here as well.