rubbing leaders using braid

Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:02 am

What are peoples thoughts on this?
Does everybody use a rubbing leader when using braid and if so what strenght for say 15lb braid, 20lb braid and 30lb braid.
What knots do you use and do you give it a blob of superglue?

Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:01 am

i always use a leader about 10lb lighter than the main although with lines as light as the ones you talk about i might just drop 5lb. you want the leader to break not the main - mono is cheap braid isn't!. never bothered glueing the knot but it would do no harm if you think you need the security. i use a leader about 20 feet long that way if there is a tangle the knife comes out cuts the whole mess off tie on a new leader and no harm done trust me you do not want to be untangling a braid tangle especially at sea!

Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:57 pm

What Raymondo says. Although if I'm fishing over sand I might not bother with a leader, and I don't mind using the same strength BS as I reckon the knot'll fail before the braid.

rubbing leaders using braid

Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:26 pm

I suppose the system I use can be described as a rubbing trace. The reel braid is attached to a swivel then around 6ft of nylon is used between swivel and trace or boom. It has worked fine and as other replies state the nylon usually breaks before the braid. It is also a lot easier attaching line to a swivel if the leader breaks. This technique is also handy in that if a largish fish is to be brought on board it is a lot more comfortable handling nylon than braid.
Another advantage is that there is no leader knot to catch on rod eyes or levelwind if used.

Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:49 am

Hi guys ,
Which knot would you use for attaching mono to braid ?
Cheers , Nick

Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:26 pm

I use a grinner not ( also called a uni knot i believe) does the job fine

Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:50 pm

Dunno what it's called, but it's a quick and simple knot to tie when your hands are wet and cold. Pretty strong, too. Goes like this:

Make a loop in your mono, with about 8 to 12 inches of tag line lying along the mainline.

Feed your braid into the loop, and wrap it 6 to 8 turns around the mono, both the main line and tag. Turn the braid and wrap it the same number of times back up again, around the mono (main and tag) and your first set of braid wraps. Feed the tag of the braid back through the mono loop in the same direction as you started, moisten, pull snug and tight, and trim.

It's a great knot. I must go get the name and a link to it.

Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:42 pm

Here it is, The Albright:

http://www.tnoutdoorsmen.com/knots.htm

:D