Bran for rubby dubby???

Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:56 pm

Do people just use crushed cornflakes for rubby dubby or is it possible to buy bags of bran? If it is where would I get them?

Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:19 pm

you can buy bran at the health food shop - expensive or the farm supply / animal feed supply -cheap but they will want to sell you 50kg. suppose a big pet food place might sell it in smaller amounts but even 50kg will not cost much,

rubby dubby

Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:54 pm

I use the porridge oatflakes as they have a great absorbtion rate for all the oils etc, but must prepare the mix a couple of days in advance so it can soak into the oats. mind where you store it though as the smell can make the wife a bit anti fishing ( not too mention the flies!!!)

rubby dubby

Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:45 pm

if only she new what ur saying about her screaming reels !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:47 pm

Try your local pet shop for smaller amounts of bran. I mix in some pilchard oil as well as mashed mackeral then leave it for about an hour to soak in.

Bill.

Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:17 am

I use the porridge oatflakes as they have a great absorbtion rate

Lidl and Aldi sell oatflakes very very cheap, 39cents for a 250g (I think) bag.

dog biscuits

Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:08 am

I use the dogs dry nuts mix (dog can not compain see unlike the kids if you swipe their corn flakes!) from the farm supply centre - they have to be "marinated" in the mix the night before and fall apart quite quickly but I put them down in very fine orange or similar fruit bags and that does the trick - produces an excellent scent trail with no food for the fish to eat.

Relatively cheap too...

FWIW

Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:40 am

I buy 1kg bags of oatbran, from tesco(?) or more likely superquin. I liquidise the mackeral, add the bran and then put it in freezer bags and freeze it. take it out of the freezer, out of the plastic bag and into a net. In use, it slowly melts and doesn't wash away all at once.

Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:00 pm

Depends where you live, but any animal feed mill can supply at next to no cost.