Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:12 pm

Q. Explain what someone with an inboard engine could do?

A. You'll note a lot of crab/lobster boats have what looks like a cross between a boathook and a scythe. It's just that - blade of a scythe stuck on the end of a nice long pole. When they get fankled up, they lean over the side and saw as much of the tangled rope/net off the prop & shaft so that it doesn't cut the shaft until they can get time to clear it properly.

Depending on where the prop is situated, this ranges from difficult to downright impossible and the tool to do it is a lethal bit of kit - I once saw one that was bracketed to a mast snap at the level of the bracket and land on the deck - good job nobody was under it.

As regards the cage on an outboard, I wouldn't have thought it'd have much effect on performance. The real problem with outboards is that you're likely to tear the outboard or indeed the transom off if you cross a rope at speed.

Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:18 pm

No I'd say that sums it up allright Rocky, but the big Issue is safety, and Lobster men, Anglers, Divers etc.. should always be aware that others use the sea too. So we should all have the common sense and decency not to leave unmarked hazards floating around.

If a sports prop can increase the speed of the boat by 3knots by increasing revs then surely a cage would hinder the speed by creating a drag effect. I am no expert on boat streamlining but I am sure it would have some effect, I would be up for testing such a contraption that's for sure.

Anyway problem may be solved with something like this. See Web Site below (http://www.kitemare.com/propguards.htm)

So you reckon the device for cutting rope on an inboard engine is fail proof? Would it not depend on how much rope as tangled itself around the prop? I know outboards automatically cut off when too much tension is placed on the prop, would an inboard not suffer the same problem?

Like I said I am no expert on that but just interested?

Cheers.

Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:17 pm

one guy that i know fishes pots on an outboard boat carries a diving mask and just last month another crab boat with inboard got caught in his own leader-smaller boat was able to come to the stern and see properly to cut the rope free.

Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:49 pm

Would the worst case scenario be literally diving under the boat to cut them?, wouldn't fancy that, might be ok in polution free seas off Donegal but Howth Harbour :shock: You would be making a trip to the Hospital for not only exposure but gods knows what else!! :shock:

Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:08 am

ha ha ha :lol:

Chris Mc

Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:46 am

just checked out that web site RobertMc and that contraption looks the business - I would say a local shop could get them in if ordered, not only would you not get caught up in ropes but it would protect your prop if you went into a shallow area or when launching a boat on dodgy slips with shallow bottoms.

Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:45 pm

If you are a put put put 5 knot fisherman that propguard thing will work however I think if you have a fast fishing boat your only claim to fame is that you will pass everything only a filling station........... too much drag!

Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:52 pm

prop guards dont seem to bother these guys to much http://www.Zapcat-racing.com check out the image gallery .
At the end of the day its up to who evers at the helm of the boat to keep a close eye on what their doing , think its rule 5 and 6 of the international regulationsfor preventing collisions at sea . at the end of the day alot of the people who have their own boats have never sat a formal exam to say their competitent enough to even drive one !

Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:11 pm

Where are the Rod Holders? :lol:

Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:01 pm

i just check that power boat site and its stupid as these events have the area cleared bofore racing around, there be no lobster pots in the area they race in. And where do you do a formal exam for drivin a boat, I might buy one of the helmets they wear though very handy when the brother in law is castin :lol: :P

Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:15 pm

Most boat clubs run power boat courses at some stage ,depending on were you are dive centres around this neck of the woods run them to ,you can learn the basics such as retrieving some one from the water ,coming along side etc. or you can do the more advanced which involves night navigation and trip planning using charts.
they also teach you some of the more general rules of the sea ..

Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:55 pm

Hi Ronald ,
Just wondering whether you are suggesting that there SHOULD be a formal exam before you can drive a boat ? No need to reply - I think this thread is going to run on for a while anyway !
But - and this is a serious question with apols for diverting from the original topic - are there any exams/courses which are already mandatory eg use of inshore radio / elementary life-saving or first aid / whatever ?
It's OK - I don't drive a boat myself as yet . But I am by default the co-pilot because there's normally only two of us in it . So if the skipper falls in and I take over ????????????

Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:24 pm

I personally think there should be some form of exam/training before anyone is allowed get behind a boat wheel. I mean you have to do exams for almost every other motor propelled machines why not a boat?

From simply a safety perspective it would probably end up saving people's lives and saving peoples bank accounts too if they were a little educated on the do's and don'ts at sea :wink: