Dinghy from Dun laoghaire

Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:51 pm

Howyis lads. Nipping out with a couple of non fishing buddies for 4/5 hours from the dun laoghaire/sandycove area this week. Dont really do this much and was wondering if there was a solid spot and methods to use. Any help much appreciated cos it would really suit me transport wise if these guys caught some fish and took up fishing regularly!

Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:55 am

What species are you after m8?
how far do you want to motor to a mark?

Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:40 am

Well species wise, whatevers going at the moment. I can use whatever tactics and baits etc to suit that.
The combination of a fairly small motor and the lads patience will probably restrict us to largely inshore work, no more than a mile (tops) offshore and located predominantlty between DL and say Howth or a teenie bit further

Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:55 pm

Hi Blaker
Heres a wee bit of info hope it helps.
[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/terrymeegan/dunlharbours.png[/img]
[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/terrymeegan/muglins.png[/img]

Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:11 pm

Terry thats the business man cheers!

Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:15 pm

Glad i could help m8 :)

Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:22 pm

Just a by the by.
Had a great day on Thursday. The people renting them out are decent dudes. They charged us for 3 hours despite us being out for 3 hours 40 mins.
The fishing was solid. As much mackerel as we'd wanted to catch, small whiting, doggies by the billion, small dabs, couple of pollack. About 1/2 way between the mugglins and the shore my buddy caught a 6 or 7lb smoothhound. On rag. On a size 1 hook. On his first fishing trip. On 1/2 a beachcaster. My beachcaster. On my rig. Honestly I was delighted for him. No, I was!
For the "From the mouth of babes" section. We were drifting inside the mugglins and trying to judge the speed based on how fast we were passing the gardens on the shore. At this point my buddy's girlfrend turns seaward and says "We are not drifting as fast on this side". Beyond hilarious!

Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:23 pm

Sorry meant to ask. That smoothound was a bit of a fre\k catch wasn't it? Leaving aside the ridiculous gear he was using you wouldn't catch them there regularly there would you?

Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:26 pm

No there not too regular in that spot at all m8, although the animal fishing seems to be booming in the area in general this year.
Im out tommorow to try for tope and ray...

On looking at the forecast i might not get out at all