"The Tide State for Skate"

Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:07 pm

All,

well almost all!!, what state of the tide have you had your best results when fishing for Skate? , In particular this question is for experienced Kerry anglers!

Cheers,

Rob.

Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:26 am

Not a Kerry Angler, But when your fishing Ballycaste youa common just at the end of the Push of the tide, Cos playing a Big Male in 6 Knts of tide and 300ft of water aint fun.... Well, not much :P :P

Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:46 pm

Hi Rob,
Sorry i've no experience catching Skate. Do we take it you did not make contact then with the Skate on your Brandon trip then??? I did not get a chance to try a trip over there, just managed the one day off on the Monday in the channel at the end of Inch, did Jim pass the message on about the 'Red Tide' ? we got the Mackeral ok but not even a doggy after that!
Cheers Sean,

Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:07 pm

Hi Sean, yeah just got back from a week down in Brandon with Jim, Sean and Phil (aka Phildublin). We had some great fishing 16 Species in total but very disapointing for any kind of flatfish including Skate!! We tried hard for them but no joy!, maybe next year or when we are down there in March. Yeah got the message about the Red tide so that obviously put us off going over your side. Had some very interesting results though which I will e-mail you about! Cheers Rob.

"The Tide State for Skate"

Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:17 pm

The best time I've found is when the doggie bites run dry

Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:07 pm

robert ,

i caught quite a few in Scotland and it tends to be about 1.5 hrs each side of the slack water.

the quip about the doggies is actually very true. tends to be if your getting them and they suddenly stop tends to be a flat chap is in the area.

best to set up for skate just before that period which will allow your scent trail to get going. its also worth looking at the charts for the area and look for deeper spots in the area and target them. don't be afraid of any depth up to 180m. especially if its shallower nearby. skate seem to patrol areas.

hope this is useful. :D

Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:19 pm

That's quite interesting alright lads, its funny when the Sea Angler lads where over in 2003 and caught 10 plus skate over two days they got all the fish in a deep depression off Brandon, a pit to use their expression 8)

Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:21 pm

i taught Steve all he knew :lol:

the two thing's you need most.

1 Patience :(
2 luck
:)