Boat rod and reel question

Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:41 pm

I purchased my first boat rod on Saturday and am looking to put a multiplier on there ahead of a trip to Kilmore Quay.

A few questions to anyone with boat fishing knowledge,

The rod I bought is in the 30lb class, is that too heavy for Kilmore and should I bring a lighter rod that day?

I don't boat fish too often so cannot justify a huge output on a reel, what would you recommend, where would I buy it and how much approx? I would prefer a multiplier on the boat. What strength/type of line would you recommend also?

Thanks,

Donal.

Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:23 pm

Don,

look at this link, I got myself a lighter rod than
yours purely for the fun of using it. I haven't
actually used it yet but you can make your own mind up.

http://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/bull ... php?t=2728

Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:21 pm

I've never fished Kilmore, so I dunno if your rod is suitable or not, or even what type of fishing/species you'll be after, but

If I had a 30lb class rod, I'd stick a Penn 225LD on it and go pick a fight with a shark or conger :!:

:twisted:

Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:21 am

Donal

Most of the fishing in Kilmore is over rough ground, fishing for Wrasse, Pollack, Cod etc. while the 30lb rod will do, I normally fish with 12-15lb and 15-20lb rods (one for gilling and the other for bottom fishing). Expect to loose some gear so bring plenty of 9oz weights with you. Ragworm and Mackeral will do you for bait (you should be able to get the Mackeral on the way out to the drop point). Don't go any lower than 20lb line as it will give you a chance to free your gear if you get caught on the bottom.
The choice of reel is a hard one as it depends on how much sea fishing you are going to be doing, there's no point spending a lot on a good reel if it's going to be lying up for most of the year. I always say spend as much as you can afford at the time, no point in getting cleaned out without trying out. There are a huge amount of multiplier reels from €50 up, you don't need a large reel as it's not too deep in Kilmore. Where to buy depends on where you are, there's a very good shop in Wexford who won't see you wrong and a number in Dublin or you could buy over the net from one of the very good companies across the water advertising in one of the sea mags.
Damien

Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:04 pm

Thanks for the replies lads. Looks like I need a lighter rod for sport in Kilmore.

Donal.

Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:06 pm

Hi Don- bring the rod anyway. BTW there are rods available on board-I'm not sure of the cost.

jd

Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:20 pm

Hi JD,

Will do.

See you there.

Donal.