rays/tope on causeway bank??

Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:00 am

has anyone ever tried for tope or various rays around causeway bank portrush?
at the end of the day tope are being caught at culdaff and lough swilly etc, and tope and blonde,cuckoo,spotted rays are caught at ballycastle - and portrush is stuck in the middle!
last year i know of 1 blonde and a few spotted and cuckoo's being caught on the drift along the bank.
it maybe time to forfeit a day or two drifting the bank for plaice and turbot and try anchoring up on the outside edge of the bank and see what happens!??????? :? :wink:

Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:09 pm

tried anchoring on the bank last year ,caught a few more doggies than normal and the odd dab ,other than that no rays or tope , got a few specimen sized spurs there e couple of years ago on the inside of the bank near the causeway .
August seems to be the best time for the rays (cuckoo and spotted ) so might make more of an effort this year

Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:08 am

Going to Ballycastle tomorrow for the Rays, Kick Arse, But Anyway, Drifting the Causeway Bank for Tubot etc etc, One of the Boys from the Club I was with Hooked a Whiting which in Turn was Munched by what I could only presume to be a Tope, It let go right on the Surface, and I saw it... Good sized fish too. 8) 8)

Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:04 pm

yeah, i hear seans been gettin a few recently. also heard that the blondes and spotted are now turning up on the causeway bank as a boat or two are starting to anchor on it.as for the tope... you never know surely one will be lifted soon up there? whiting - seen that happen once before but the shark spotted below the boat looked more like a blue, down the east end of the bank.good luck at b'castle k2, let me know how you get on.

rays/tope on causeway bank??

Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:12 pm

Tope can occasionally be caught around the causeway area.
A fish of 30lb was taken aboard Sean McKay's boat on a Ballintoy around the start of July.