Bass marks in the shannon

Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:33 am

I got such an excellent and accurate response to the tope query, I thought I'd chance the same for bass. Any got any pointers to boat fishing for bass in the estuary?
I'll be giving the beal bar a go, but wondered if anyone had first hand experience?
Kev

Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:39 pm

Only spot I know for dozens of schoolies on light spinning/fly gear is the hot water outflow at moneypoint!!! but saying that we always fish the wrong tide there and blank for them, its bottom of the tide up that fishes best there for them I think!!

Moneypoint

Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:00 pm

Hey Rob
Where is the hotwater outflow at moneypoint? We motored up to but not too close to moneypoint on saturday, there was a very very large vessel manouvering out and we didnt want to get too close.
I assume its easily visible, but is it upstream or downstream of the dock itself?
I think we'll be targeting conger here soon once the tope slow down
Kev

Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:40 pm

STAY AWAY FROM MY POWER PLANT!!!!! nah just messin, the outlet is behind the jetty, you will probably will be able to see the trail of white(ish) foam on the surface of the water, follow that until you find the source! three big gates with thousands of gallons pumping out of them! easy! as for the boat patroling here at the moment, there is work going on at the jetty, it's being repainted and stuff, so with all the health and safety legislation in act these days there has to be a boat waiting for people to fall in! i'm not sure what the exact story with fishin in here is, i've been working here a couple of months and no one will give me a straight answer, so i'm just going to bring the spinning rod down some afternoon and fish away til i'm hunted out of it! chance it sure and see what the guy in the boat says. if it's a calm enough day, and there isn't too much of a run off from the plant, the place can be like a lilly pond so there's no danger at all. best of luck with it anyway, and if i ever actually manage to find out if we're officially allowed fish here then i'll let ye all know!

Patrick

Sat Jun 25, 2005 11:17 pm

We have fished there a load of times and never had any problems Kev, it is a great spot for Conger and Ray too, there is a picture in my gallery of a ray I got there a few weeks back, it will give you a good idea where to go, but as Patrick says look for the foamy water. The dept there changes from 110 - 80 - 20 foot in the space of a few yards. Obviously don't go too close, just anchor up around 20-25 yards back and spin into the foamy water. Low tide only!! Best of Luck, Rob.