Assistance Needed - fishing marks Strangford Lough

Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:56 pm

:?: I have recently bought a 5.5m rib and intend to do some diving and fishing around Co.Down - particularly Strangford Lough and the surrounding area. The only thing is I have no idea where to start

I was hoping to do some general fishing around the wrecks for pollock etc - the locations and gps coorinates for these are readily available ( see http://www.irishwrecksonline.net/subindex.htm in case anyone is interested) but I would also like to go after some tope and flatfish.

Surely some of you knowledgeable gentlefolk know some useful marks in the area - any suggestions would be most welcome.

Strangford must be full of flatties.

Strangford also has a good reputation for tope and skate but it is a big place and it is not easy to know where to begin!

I have been out on the last 2 weekends - only managed a few small pollock - there has to be more than this in the Lough - if only I knew where to find them .

Thanks in advance for you help.

Bert 8)

Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:12 pm

i have fished inside the lough for the past 4-5 years and can count the number of decent fish ive caught on my fingers, once i thought that id found a hot spot catching three pollack to 6lb in about 15min went to the same spot the next day at the same state on tide and caught .....nothing, zip, nada! there MUST be good fish but i cant find them and last year was especally bad ....i could not even get mackeral with any reliability. the lough is always choc-a-block with piddling little whiting, cod and pollack but as for anything bigger? this year i'm going to make a real attempt for rays and tope but i'm not expecting much.

Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:33 am

Some good conger up round the Wrecks, Ling, Cod, Pollack and Coalies and some Oddities if you actually leave the Lough and head toward Portavogie, Fish off the Caravan Site about a Mile n a half out. Heard there was good Huss taken the odd time from the Shore at Strangford. Also heard there was a good Run of decent Codling during the winter off certain spots. My nephew is down there every day with his other grandad and his person best is a 9lb Cod, Which isnt too bad. 8)