Thornbacks Cork Harbour?

Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:59 pm

Hi all,

Looking to catch some thornies this year, no problem with the blondes, but never picked up a thornback yet. Usually fish around Cork (harbour mostly/ling rock) so hoping someone might put my in the general area of where to catch one, or should I just be more patient? I fancy the rough ground off Trabolgan to throw up some. Had some nice congers there, but never a thornback......any hints (or preferably gps coords :D - well I can ask) greatly appreciated.

Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:18 pm

Hello Thescotsman,
All you will ever catch from the rough ground around trabolgan is conger.
There are not a whole lot of Thornies in Cork Harbour for some reason, but I have caught them in the following places.
1, Chapel hole, this is a very deep hole at the side of the main channel on the way into the inner harbour, pass the two forts and head for spike island, you'll see a red bouy on your left, if you drive on a straight line from there towards the refinery pier looking at your sounder it will drop from 30 odd feet to about 70 suddenly, anchor on this edge you will eventually get Thornies (amongst hundreds of doggies).
2. head out to the harbour rock, right at the mouth of the harbour on your left you will see a red bouy, staying about 100yds to the right of that bouy, head straight out about 100-200 yards, drop anchor here (dropping tide only) this is a rough patch which can turn up lots of different fish, over the years i have caught thornies, cod, pollack, coalies, dabs, bass, conger, doggies, t.b rockling, whiting, gurnard etc..
Hope this helps you out a bit.
Dave

Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:18 pm

Thats interesting info Dave, thank you for being so open. Fair play.

Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:34 pm

Yes thanks for that. Great directions :)
I'll give them a try and see how I get on and let you know.
Have seen one being caught on the rought stuff off Trabolgan which was why it interested me.
Thanks again.
Lee