Garmin Etrex GPS - any use?

Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:03 pm

Hi all,

Just picking up a boat next weekend and am considering some other gear for it. It's a 15 ft warrior. I'm thinking of buying the bog standard Garmin etrex GPS for using on the boat. Most of my fishing will be done out of Bangor and an occasional visit to the North Antrim coast.

What are your views on this Etrex?

Cheers

GPS

Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:47 pm

HarrP,
The Etrex will do the business of navigating fine. You are probably aware that it does not have a chart (at least the bog std version doesn’t). This is not a problem so long as you are disciplined enough to regularly save waypoints as these will serve as your points of reference as you go. It will also be important to either get the external power lead or carry spare batteries as they can be quiet hungry.

The Etrex has a small screen. It will make it a bit tougher using the plotter. I have a GPS72 for messing around with and it has a far bigger screen than the Extrex (I have one of these as well that a friend found!).

Ultimately if you are getting good use from the boat you would be better off buying a fixed unit with chart, far safer.

Jim.

Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:53 pm

Thanks for the advice Jim

I'm watching Ebay for the Etrex and hope to get one soon.

Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:34 pm

keep a look out for the gps72 rather than the etrex! as jim said bigger screen on the 72. the 72 also comes pre loaded with navaids /lights around the coast and a big bonus is that it floats great feature if you manage to drop it in to the wet stuff :wink:

Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:15 pm

Hi John1

Is the gps72 made by Garmin?

Cheers

Harry

Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:21 pm

I'll just reply to my own post.... I should have looked it up before posting!!

It is made by Garmin.

Harryp