first Boat

Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:39 am

Hi Lads

Im in the process of buying a Boat for the first time.

I have plenty of experience in boating having served for 15yrs as a seniour Helmsman on an inshore Lifeboat but that was all in RIBs.

The boat im looking at is an 18ft Surf Rider make, im not sure of, but possibly seeker ?? it has a 115 Johnston on the back. The boat and engine are in good condition, there are no electronics aboard.

I test drove the boat this eve with 3 people onboard and the boat performed excellent no cavatation and smooth ride even at MAX speed 37knts(checked by me on handheld GPS) conditions 2nite were good so i didnt get 2 check her rough weather capabilities but i think they would be good enough for normal fishing/fun.

For the boat, my criteria would be:

good fishing space
comfortable ride
enough space 4 2 adults and 2 kids
protection 4 kids in bad weather
ability to pull a skier
Basically i want a boat that will do everything and not cost a fortune(some hope in that)

well lads what do you think

Thanks in advance
Danny

Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:21 am

Best of luck with her Danny. Never heard of the surf rider(maybe someone else on here has) but would be always a bit wary of second hand engines with big horse power, seen alot of lads have nothing but bother em and they are not exactly the kind of things when you need to work on them that you can hitch on and off in a second.

Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:02 pm

Thanks 4 that Pete.

I agree with you abt second hand engins but I'm not in a position to buy new at the mo.

The engine sounds OK and it has very little work done it is 5yrs old and was serviced every year.

I am going to have to take my chances and hope it works out

Danny

Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:06 am

You can get good boat and electronics help and advice from the Irish Power Boat newsgroup at http://www.powerboat.ie/forums/

(Hope it is OK to mention this site - I have no connection with them.)

Roadrunner, 37 knots :shock: That is fast !

P