is my sea boat big anuf???

Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:11 am

i got a second hand boat just after xmas. its a 16.6 ft micro-plus explorer 501. with 25 hp outboard, is this suitable for the sea? I've been using Joe's small boat for many years on bullock harbor . and decided to buy one my self. does any one now how far out from the shore its suitable for on a good
day? and how many people is it safe for
thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:50 am

I had one of these.... The ill fated "Norfolk n Fish". Most of the problems I had with her were engine related though. I had her 6 miles or so from port on occasion but that was in fairly sheltered water. However, she handled it well, with a fairly smooth stable ride. Your 25 HP should get 17 knots or so, we had over 20 with a 30hp, however I wouldnt push her along at that. Those boats are actually river cruisers and built for pottering around more than anything else. Aside from the lack of deck space, she was a grand boat with nice high gunnels for a bit of security. You wont comfortably fish any more than 2 from her though. I liked the boat, however had one problem too many and recently sold her.

Microplus

Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:13 am

She’ll do grand in the sea. You must remember that performance is a relative thing. Within reason, it’s up to you how far a boat can travel from land. How far are you safe with, how far is the boat safe with.

It is impossible for us here to tell you how far you can go, as we don’t know your capabilities! The boat will do grand in calm waters. Driven correctly, it will handle a short chop with ease (I have never been in one myself).

If you look out to sea and don’t feel comfortable then you shouldn’t be out there. A good rule of thumb to distance out is how fast you can get back in out of it if conditions should turn nasty. If you only travel on the best of days and watch/listen to the forecast you are only limited by the fuel that you carry and your confidence in your equipment. You may not travel out too far at all but you might run along the coast quite a distance form your launch point. With this in mind planning is everything, know your range, know your capabilities, few know their boats abilities because they operate in safe conditions. Remember there’s little point fishing when the conditions are rough, the drift can be too fast. Fishing at anchor can be an alternative but at times bite detection can be compromised by the movement of the boat.

You won’t be the first man to plan a trip, get to the slip and have to turn back. The important thing is to be smart enough to call it off!

Enjoy!

Jim.

Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:35 am

Sound advice there Jim.
As most people will not go out in rough conditions it is more a question of what YOU can handle and not your boat.
We were out about 3 miles yesterday and did not feel comfortable due to conditions but in the same boat we were 16 miles off last week.

Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:24 pm

thanks lads ill yous that good info, i intend just fishing around the muglins sound dalkey. thanks again
anto
dublin

Advice

Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:14 am

Grand boats and fine for the area you are talking about. My advice to you though is first get an idea of the reliability of your engine. Do a few handy trips first even with the aid of another boat along with you in case you run into problems. The Microplus is a decent boat for the sea as long as you don't try to do wave hopping in big waves etc. They handle well. As this is an old boat though (could well be 30 years old) I would sugest you take it easy this year and worm out her problems. All old boats have them but they are easily sorted if you put the work in. I had a similar boat (Sheland 535) and went well offshore in that many times but that was after i was fully happy with the boat itself and with a new engine (60hp). Much of boat handling comes through personal experience and you are always learning. Everyone has a few dodgy moments and they are liers if they say they did'nt. Learn about the area and learn to read the fore cast. A force 5 is out around the Muglins and a SE wind (4-5) kicks up a right swell between Dalkey Island and Dalkey sound which at heart is a bottle neck for big waves. This can be like a washing machine on a bad day Around maiden rock (the far end of Dalkey Island (Dublin side)) Also in the early stages of your learning curve take twice as much petrol with you than you will use that way when you run out you will have the same amount to get home :wink: .

Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:38 pm

I started my boat out on a lake(although with the trout fishing season in that might not be too welcome!). Even in the lake I was able to sort out problems. Theres alot of ground that casn be covered a mile offshore fishing the coast..plenty of fish . As the others said when comfortable you will decide how far to go out...piece of advice...make sure you have a vhf as it will give regular updates and plus you can call for help if you get in trouble...at the least make sure you have a full charge on yoiur phone and a radio for the weather. Loads of lads from the site live in that area and it would be good to tag along with them untill yoiur happy!