Beware "FISHFINDER BAIT" frozen mackerel

Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:00 pm

Had to buy some frozen mackerel this week :roll:

The local shop had only "Fishfinder Bait, Dublin", bought a few packets.

THE MOST DISGUSTING CRAP I EVER HAD TO USE. I'd say it was frozen when a week old. :evil:
Avoid it like the palgue. Stick with the KB or the AMMOS of this world.

Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:57 pm

I had some of that self same stuff this week too. I have also used it from tackle shops in Donegal where it wasnt quite as bad but not far off. From the looks of the packs, it looked like it was defrosted and then refrozen. Im not suggesting this happened at the tackle shop either as the rest of the bait in their freezer was fine. You're right Jim, Grade A Sh1te.

Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:11 pm

I bought a few packs last Saturday in Limerick and didn't look at it till I got home. It was all badly burnt with blood in the packet. Used it Thursday night and it was very poor quality. Unfortunately I have no alternatives as I can only get whats sold in limerick.

I find at this time of year the blast frozen mackerel is at its poorest. Though as said ammo and kb will be better. The high oil content in mackerel will cause it to go off in time no matter how well its blast frozen. I find in the summer the stuff I freeze myself from the cliff in Dunlickey is far superior to any blast frozen bait. I know how longs its in the freezer and I know how well its treated before freezing. THis isn't true of the mackerel I've got from the Estuary itself.

Donagh

please god

Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:21 pm

please god

with the improvement in the weather the water temp goes up a degree or so and we will have our abundance of mackeral,

its always the same at the start of the boat sesson were going mad cause theres no mackeral in, then when they are in we are giving out
( grrrrr cant get away from them) :lol:

Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:07 am

Were they the fillets or the whole mackerel?

Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:21 pm

recently bought ammo frozen mackeral fillets for the boat comp in kilmore, absolute rubbish, all fillets were freezer burned, wont be buying again

Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:32 pm

Ammo is good quality stuff as is KB. Some takle shops have problems with their freezers :evil:

I used some refrozen ammo along with the fishfinder today and the ammo stuff was still better. Looking at the fish finder stuff it looks like it was net caught as their was a tear in the skin. Theres no point blast freezing 3 day old mackerel.

Teacher the stuff was in wholes. I was in ahurry when I bought this crap but assumed it was ok as it had some sort of label. Its the stuff in clear packets thats usually out and out crap. Looking at it when I got home I could see how bad it was.

Donagh

Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:03 pm

Hard to beat KB baits. Used his sandeel again the next day after a comp and they were still good enough to catch fish.
Herd he may opening up a shop in Cork to supply fresh and frozen baits.