Mayo skippers

Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:26 pm

Guys,

Looking to bring 10/12 heads down to Westport area for a day on a boat in May. Is there any skipper I should go for above others? Feel free to PM if you prefer.

the only man is mary

Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:54 pm

the only man is mary

the best skipper down that way is mary gavin hughes

Phone / FAX: 00353 (0)98 41562
Mobile: 086 8062282

http://www.clewbayangling.com/skipper.html

Mayo skippers

Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:03 pm

Hi

Depends on what you are looking for... Mary is certainly tops for the skate and fishing in Clew Bay itself. She's a superb angler to boot.

Aaron O'Grady operates from Clare Island but picks up on Roonagh pier and is good for the more distant marks say around the Bills Rocks but you need good weather and a strong constitution regardless of the weather if you are venturing out that far! You do start an hour earlier though as Mary is based near Newport and there is a fair trip out to Clare Island...

What are you looking for, particular species would help? The boats in Westport tend to operate more for the tourists, mackerel and small stuff in the calmer waters nearer the islands...

Are you interested in travelling beyond Clew Bay, say to Belmullet?

RSVP

Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:50 pm

Jimmy Gallagher out of Killala - not sure if he's still operating though.

Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:04 pm

Guys, thanks for the help. To be honest I'm probably the only one of the group whos familiar with fishing in any way so a trip with Mary would probably be pointless. One of the lads has made a booking apparently. I don't know who with so it might be interesting!

Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:05 pm

Any body ever heard of Joe Givens? If hes a bathtub merchant I don't want to know