how do you know what colour

Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:36 pm

when gilling for pollack how do you depict what colour works,
i have used every colour in the rainbow, and at some stage the pollack took them,but i have yet to find one that will work everytime i go fishing

Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:21 am

Hi Mickey

It all depends on where you are fishing and what type of natural bait that the fish are feeding on (or In my case what they are not feeding on i seem to have a great skill in finding out what bait fish don't like)
Different days in the same area will see different colours working but then again this is what Angling is all about.
There seems to be a few colours which work best mostly Red, Black, Yellow, and Black with a Red tail.
But then again sometimes no matter what colour you use it doesn't make a difference if the fish are feeding.

Tight Lines
Danny

Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:54 am

ive always found red, black with red tails or pearly white to work best off rocks and stuff... im sure boat will be similiar too

Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:01 pm

I ususally put a red and a black on first , if one gets more hits than the other , I switch both to that colour. If neither get any interest, switch to 2 other colours and try the same.

Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:01 pm

Also, depending on the depth of water vis visability, on bright sunny days I try a darker colour, for siloutte, and darker cloudier days I try a bright colour.

Then, I usually go with tthe old favs, red, orange and black! :D

Pollack

Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:58 pm

In Dublin use Black 'Rascal' Redgills on a flowing trace. Or if you have good ragworm use one nipped through the back of the head still alive again on a flowing trace. The above will outfish anything on the East coast as far as Kilmore for Pollack. :wink: Down South They use more Shads than redgills. Mostly Red or Orange i think. East coast fish take little interest in Shads i've found while the oppisite is true in Cork :? Fickle these South coasters... :shock: :D

Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:39 am

can often be very difficult, i often find that rag just works best? any one else dislike jellies

jellies

Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:08 pm

paul
its not about disliking jellies
it somthing to use when you dont have access to ragworm
and depending on were your fishing sometime jellies out fish rag, were pollack are concerned