how do you double hook up gilling

Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:31 pm

i have fished for pollack on many occasions (gilling) and every now and then i hook a double , how after hooking your first pollack how do you intentionally hook the second without risking loosing fish.

Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:44 pm

Its not risk free but the thing to do is let Pollack number one take your rig back down again and wait for the next hit...... I have bother enough trying to make myself do it on a charter without having the stones to do it during a comp....

Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:56 pm

see thats the thing i was fishing the masters last year, and i can hold my own , but i drew HIEKO (master angler 05/06) and i was gilling against him using the same jellies and same bait , but he was getting double hook ups everytime , were on the other hand i was only getting one for his two

i studied him to see what i was doing different and i just couldn't spot a thing

Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:04 pm

Drawing Heiko was unfortunate..... :D You know yourself though that you have very little need to strike a pollack and they usually hook up well so once its hooked you can get away with leaving it run or even just holding it and letting it tow your lures for a few seconds to get the second hook up. Takes stones though..... :)

Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:12 pm

well im fishing this weekend in kilmore i will give it a lash and take my chances

cheers

mick barry