are quiver tip rods going to take over

Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:22 pm

the last few times i was out in the charter boats i have seen some anglers using the 3 metre and 4 metre quiver tip rods, with a fixed spool. whats the advantage of using these.

Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:34 pm

I fell victim to one of these myself but have yet to try it out. What kind of weights were the lads using as a matter of interest Mickey? FS well suited to compo angling due to the speedy retrieve and fast drop. Im not so sure how these quivertips will handle fishing on the drift TBH but I'm interested in finding out. I can certainly seehow they could be of use at anchor. Quiver tip or not they can take some serious pressure. I bought a 12 foot one and its actually really nice for dinking out flats from the suds too.

Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:50 pm

you are spot on saying they do well at anchor as that is the only time that they were used.

i noticed these guys were not missing fish, they were lifting in to every bite with sucess everytime

were on the other hand whilst using similar rigs on a 2-8 oz tdxu uptider i was missing fish whichis still a sensitive rod

the rods being used were grauvell and tubertini the weigths were up to 8 oz i know this for fact

Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:59 pm

Mine is a 12 foot Abu something which came with 4 tips.... :shock:

Looking forward to giving it a lash at the weekend. Interesting to hear they were only used at anchor. They might be nice for drifting the clean with lighter weights too. I presume the lads were using braid?

Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:10 pm

yes and the braid they were using looked to extremely fine about 15 to 20 lbs

Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:28 am

surely u remember what u were using in portugal in the world championships, every second word out of you mouth since has been about it, i even seem to remember you signing off a report as "your international buddy" :lol: :lol:

quivers

Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:05 pm

I certainly don’t think quiver tips will take over. They have their place though. The length can work against them, especially on a small boat. They are fine for targeting small fish with small leads, at anchor. They are generally too soft for drifting or anchoring in a good run of tide as bite detection is hampered. I find a fixed spool to be more accurate than a multi when casting from the boat but I prefer a proper “spinning” rod because it will stand up better to a run of tide. It is hard to beat a 7’6” or 8’ rod for general boat fishing or a light uptider, and a 10’ or 11’ spinning rod and fixed spool for the accuracy work.

I sometimes think that reduction of fish sizes for competitions is creating a vicious circle in angling. Many match men will specifically go out to catch more fish at the small sizes rather than fishing for the bigger fish, hence the use of quiver tips. They would say that they have to be competitive. Is the buzz better catching some good fish or is the buzz better achieving the result? All told reduction of fish size does little to enhance the image of the sport. Then some would say that match fishing bears little relation to fishing for pleasure or sport!

Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:38 am

i would worry than on such thin blanks the tips would shatter the female connection of the rod?? any one have this prob