GPS at Aldi

Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:14 pm

Dunno if its any good or not, but I though Garmin is a good make?

http://ireland.aldi.com/special_buys/productnl_142.html

Maybe ok as a backup.

Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:21 pm

Or for taking down marks on Charters..... :twisted: Wheres our nearest Aldi Paul??

Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:41 pm

Hi Paul,

Good to hear from you again today!

Save your money.... €129 is not a bargain for that particular model it is the most bog standard of all the Garmins and it's ageing technology so is probably soon to be replaced.you would get a much better deal if you shop around.

A lot of the German supermarket specials ain't as cheap as they once where. A few years ago you would have to queue up from 7am to get one of those, now you could go back a week later and there will be loads left.

Jim

Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:02 pm

I bought an original garmin etrex for 140 eu 4 years ago, this Lidl offer really is not a good deal.
you can buy a handheld gps on ebay for $60.00 buy it now price.
P.s.. if you get caught using one on a boat to take down a skippers marks... you will get into a lot of trouble.

Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:28 pm

Have to agree with Jim, at most it would do as a back-up to have on board. I use one in work for getting GPS positions of places on land and I find it very hard to read the small numbers with a steady hand, not so easy on a moving boat.

Dave's correct, I don't think it's fair to take someone else's co-ords without their permission, (you could find yourself swimming home) and I would never bring a handheld on boad anyone else's boat.

By the way Dave 'Bert' say's hello.

Damien

Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:02 pm

Hi Damien.
Tell Bert I said hello back, ask him has he any tips for kilmore... i'm fishing there for the easter weekend.

Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:42 pm

Sorry for side tracking the post but just a quick one.

Dave we will be there on Good Friday ourselves with Dick Hayes, gonna be talking to him either tomorrow or Thursday, will PM you with info. Are you going charter or private?

Damien