information on first sea boat

Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:54 pm

hi this is my first time on the site. could anyone recommend a good starter sea fishing boat for a family of two adults and two kids and would anyone out there have any information on the pros and cons of a first boat.looking forward to hearing from ye .
john cork city

Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:56 pm

Hi John,

That is a difficult question to answer simply!
It depends on numerous factors here are just a few for you to consider first.

Do you want to buy new or second-hand?
What is your budget?
Do you want to leave it afloat on a marina or mooring or trailer it?
If you want to trailer it what do you intend to tow it with?
If you want to leave it afloat have you got access to a mooring or a place on a marina have you got a tender (both can be hard to find now days in Cork Harbour and many other areas!)
Do you want an inboard or outboard motor?
What sea areas do you propose to use the boat in?
What boating experience do you have?
How often will you use it?
Where would you leave it for the winter?

Jim

starter boat

Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:53 pm

hi jim looking for a second hand boat £4000 max that would be easy to launch on and off a trailer. I have absolutely no experience of boating and i would be hoping to use it off the coast of cork and dingle for the summer months on;y .People have suggested an orkney longliner 16 ft and an osullivan marine skellig . Thanks for your reply jim .

john

Re: starter boat

Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:19 pm

John wrote:hi jim looking for a second hand boat £4000 max that would be easy to launch on and off a trailer. I have absolutely no experience of boating and i would be hoping to use it off the coast of cork and dingle for the summer months on;y .People have suggested an orkney longliner 16 ft and an osullivan marine skellig . Thanks for your reply jim .

john

Hi John,

Both of those boats are excellent, Add a 17' Lee Fisherman too, You may be lucky, but with the current prices people are asking crazy money for them.

An older boat like a pilot 17 might be worth a look you should be able to find one within your budget and it would be a faster boat than all of the above being displacement hulls.

A second hand engine will always be a gamble there is just no way of telling how long it will last, bear that in mind when you buy. You may need to replace the engine sooner than expected.

Bring somebody along with you that knows about boats to look over any you go to look at.

Have a look on here there are several boats listed: http://www.apolloduck.ie/

The Free ads in the Echo on a Tuesday night also has a good few listed each week.

Jim

starter boat

Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:44 pm

thanks jim for that information hope i'll be luckey.
john

Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:42 am

Hi John,

There are examples of all the aforementioned boats for sale here:
http://www.buyandsell.ie/browse.php?m=24&s=24&g=00343&

That Skellig in Dublin might be worth a look and its not to much over your budget!

Jim

Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:03 pm

if going for an orkney avoid a longliner as the steering is tiller based, better of with a strikeliner as it will have a steering column in front of the cabin. a much dryer option.

16 foot orkneys are not the most spacious of boats but are pretty safe and reliable. cheap to run and reliable.

First boat

Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:07 pm

You should be able to get a longliner for ?4000. They are excellent first boat. Make sure to check that the engine is okay. People are inclined to forget how expensive a new engine is.

Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:54 am

Picked up mine recently for 3k, on a good trailer, with the full intention of replacing the aging Mercury on the back of her. She is remote operated as there is a homemade console on her that takes the steering controls etc up towards the front which means you're not abandoned at the back :D Toyed with the idea of removing this and reverting to Tiller operation , mainly due to the extra cost involved in rigging small engines for remotes but having found a very fresh Honda 15 4 stroke ready rigged, I wont be doing that.

They are a nice basic boat but I dunno how suitable they would be now for 2 adults and two kids. Theres not much to keep youngsters inside if they decide to start lurching around.

Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:04 pm

The Seahog Shortie is a great wee boat - mines's 17.5 ft - easy to tow, dead handy to launch - lots of deck space and storage (though the cabin is small - thus the name Shortie) - very stable in the water - like yourself I was a complete novice when I bought it, but after 2 or 3 launches it was wee buns to launch. I can't compare it against any of the above boats but would totally recommend the Seahog.

Good advice above on getting someone who knows boats to go with you when viewing.

Whatever you buy, best of luck with it ! :D

Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:44 pm

john,

have you considered renting first to get a feel for it? There probably are several operators in your area who will rent by the day. That way you and you kids will know exactly what you are getting into before the big purchase