Advice on small boat fishing Cork Harbour please.

Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:03 pm

I'm planning a trip to Cobh at the end of June, I will be staying at the Belle Vista Hotel and using one of their self drive boats. I hope to get two days self drive and one days charter boat fishing.
I have fished out of Middleton before with Bryan Burns on the Lagosta, but never in Cork Harbour. Can anyone give me any pointers on marks in the harbour please gentlemen?.
I will be fishing for three days, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday the 26th., 27th. and 28th of June. there will be three of us coming over.
The charter boat hasn't been arranged yet, that is being done by Anglers World Holidays in England, I am an angling journalist so hope to get some good pictures for an article in a magazine. If any of you with your own boats care to join us and point us in the right direction you would be more than welcome.
Many Thanks,
Tight Lines,
Sam Harris.

Cork Harbour

Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:45 pm

Welcome to the site Sam. A good choice coming to Cork (I may be a bit biased!). The beauty is that other than atrocious weather you’ll get some fishing.

Cork Harbour is a huge area ranked as the 2nd largest natural harbour in the world. There’s plenty to offer the small boat angler within the harbour. There are endless possibilities outside.

The turbot bank has an enviable reputation for blonde rays. At times there is great bass fishing as well as the usual flatties. There are plenty of rock marks within the harbour where good congers, wrasse etc. can be caught as well. Different areas will throw up thornies and even gilthead. The mullet fishing is good as well.

Closer to the time you can be updated with better info. as to what’s happening. The harbour can go a bit sterile between now and May.

A few of the charter skippers fishing out of Cork Harbour are in residence here so I'm sure they'll contact you.

I’ll send you a PM.

Later,
Jim.

Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:37 pm

Hi Sam,

Cork Harbour is an excellent choice of venue for sea angling ( I suppose I am a little biased also :wink:).

Jim has most angles covered!

The only thing I can add is that Cork Harbour is home to several Irish angling records. The end of June should see excellent fishing both within and outside the harbour. The ability to catch fresh mackerel should not be a problem by then either!

Just to echo what Jim said it's too early to advise you on the best marks as what are fishing now may not be good in June.

Jim