KEEL ROLLERS!

Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:55 pm

Yet again after replacing 3 new rubber keel rollers from indespension at about a tenner each they've split all in about 4 times ive launched and retrieved the boat. Could somebody please tell me why this keeps on happening?

Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:33 am

Either the roller material is defective, in which case take them back to where you bought them from and tell them that the rollers are not fit for purpose intended. Other reason for distress is that the new rollers may be of slightly larger diameter than the others on your trailer. In this case the weight of your boat would be wholly borne by the new rollers, thus puttting too much loading on them.

On a similar note I have had problems with rollers coming off their carrier arms. The reason for this is rusting starlock retainers. I have found the best fix to purchase stainless starlocks.

P.

Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:52 pm

The rollers split sometimes because of the forces excerted by rust on them from the steel roller shaft, replace with stainless shaft when renewing rollers.

rollers

Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:51 pm

From memory Alastair you've a longliner on a bunked trailer? Sounds like your bunks are doing no work and your keel is digging in. Maybe time to look at adjusting the trailer to distribute the weight more evenly. If not consider nylon rollers?

Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:34 pm

Your rite Jim she is a longliner i told the guy at indespension about the rubbers he said that he'd never heard of that happening not sure he knew what kind of keel i was talking about. I adjusted the bunks the last time this happened to take more of the weight of the boat still no good they are still splitting the stainless strip on the keel is 100% The pins that go through the rollers with the retaining clips i scrapped them opted for engineering bolts instead. A couple of times when retrieving the boat the clips popped out. Bolts r the same size and rollers turn freely on them. I doubt there is nothing else to do but buy nylon rollers but this means more bloody expense!! and i havent even had here on the sea this year yet. Do u not think the nylon rollers would be sorer on a boat in transportation there is nothing absorbing the shock of the boat when the trailer goes over bumps on the road

keel rollers

Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:45 pm

I would suggest that you should have more rollers...at least 5-6 to lesson the weight on individual rollers. It will also make it much easier to launch and retrieve the longliner.