Trailer wheel pressure

Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:55 pm

Quick question - is there any way of working out the correct tyre pressure on the trailer when towing the boat. When I bought my boat the trailer tyres looked almost flat, but I was assured that they needed to be softish so the boat wouldn't be bouncing all over the place when towed. I still worry though , and have had one blowout already. Don't want another.

Any advice ?

Pressure

Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:56 pm

Howya Conor,

It would usually be written on the sidewall of the tyre and has a relationship to the no. of plys of the tyre.

Our single axle would be carrying high weight and therefore would have an 8ply tyre (van tyre). These are designed for load carrying and the pressure will be higher than you average car.

The chances of the boat bouncing around is slim given the weight. The trailer suspension should be doing its job as well. Under/over inflation can cause premature wear and even blowouts. :shock:

Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:46 pm

Thanks for that Jim. I think I may have to adjust the tyre pressure then - they are pretty soft at the minute due to the seller advising me to keep it low to reduce movement while towing. Might pump them up a bit and just go for a spin to see how it differs.