Grease for steering

Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:21 am

Hi,

My steering has seized on my 70hp 4 stroke outboard on Seahog Commodore ----a common problem I am told, just salt problems on the rod from the engine to the side of the splash well.
I can see what I need to do to free it, my question is the grease I need to put on this when finished is there a marine grade or will any sort do?

Pat

Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:37 am

I've never had any problems just using normal grease. Once you get it freed, move it from full steering lock side to side a few times, adding grease as you go.

steering

Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:45 pm

there should be a couple of grease nipples pump in as much grease as you can get in , if you undo the big nut were the rod goes into the tubeyou will see the grease comming out. if you cant get it freed disconnect the engine and TAP the rod woth a piece of wood once the seal is broken it should free up.

it will help for future reference, if you store the boat with the rod retracted, wind it all the way out slap a load of grease on it the wind it back in.

Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:48 pm

Use some copper grease. Available form any car parts dealer. Very good anti seize properties. Failing that regular greese will do the job.

Kev

Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:49 pm

Thanks lads for all advise have tracked down a spray from Wurth called HHS 2000 which apparently penetrates and then forms a film of grease comes highly recommended from a mate in Wales. Will let you know how I get on.

Pat

Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:00 pm

You should find its just the job, good for the brake cables as well if you have brakes.
Sean,

Lubricant, resistant to high pressures and with high adhesive strength. Penetrates into tightest areas easily. Sets into a high temperature grease. Ideal for hinges, latches. Optimim penetration into the treated parts. Immediate evaporation of the solvent, resulting directly in a high adhesive force between lubricant and metal.

* Synthetic lubricant
* Adheres strongly to metal
* Temperature resistant from -31°F to +392°F
* Silicone free
* Starts as penentrant, sets into clear grease
* Long lasting lubricant
* Resistant to water, salt, most acids & alkalines - PH neutral
* Will not harm plastics or rubber

Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:31 pm

Are you on commission from Wurth Sean?

Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:56 pm

Copy/Paste Col :lol:

Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:27 am

:lol: very good Sean,,,, there was me thinking you were some sort of Greese nut :roll: :lol:

Kev