Engine to tick over

Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:08 pm

CAn't get my engine to tick over in neutral - Evinrude 50 VRO. Any one any advice on how to get this working ? It works when the choke is applied but revs like mad. Can't have that. Is it to do with air intake ?

Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:32 pm

Dont mean to state the obvious but is this just happening when its cold?

Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:56 pm

pete, nope, happens all the time, I take off the choke and she conks out. Since the aux "Accident" I'd like her to tick over for a bit of reliability and not having to continually start up - just in case it doesn't start up if you know what I mean.

My old vespa engine used to conk out in neutral until I adjusted the air intake - was thinking maybe it's something along those lines - you know the way Vespa engines and evinrudes are practically the same :roll: :!: :!: :!:

Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:57 pm

Oh well, thats me stumped then.... :D A Vespa...im saying nothing :roll: Have you tried doing a web search, I have done this for some problems in the past with great responses. Unfortunately, I cannot remember the site names but there are forums out there with as many petrolheads on as there are fishing fanatics on this site!

Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:17 pm

Connor

I'v a 60 HP Evinrude, 3 cyl., 2 stroke. I also have the Evinrude/Johnson Outboard Shop Manual for engines from 48-235HP, 1973-1990, I might be able to help.

Or check out the following links
http://www.outboardrepairs.com/evinrude/

Someone has already asked this exact question as below

" have an engine with complex problems. The biggest one is that is does not idle satisfactorily when cold nor warm. To fix that we have dismantled carburettors and cleaned them with compressed air so they should be in proper order. We also installed an ex"

Answer
"Remove starter and check pulse hose to VRO, sometimes the starter rubs hole in hose, Need more then compressed air to clean carb. The last 50 carb I had to use small wire to push goop out of idle tube."

Damien

Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:19 pm

Thats the site...

Problems

Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:11 am

sounds like a petrol problem to me. When the choke is on you are getting more fuel to air ratio. When the choke is released its getting too much air and not enough juice. So she will conk out. THere could be loads of reasons that is happening and i am far from an expert but the answer Damien provided looks like a very good place to start. There should also be an air screw at your carberettors which change thei air/petrol mix. This turned half a turn will adjust the ratio but i would be inclined to find the true source of the problem. A dirty carberettor is the usual suspect in old engines. Even a tiny spec of dirt can be enough to reduce flow and cause a conk out. When an engine is in high revs the suction is stronger and can be enough to overcome this but in low revs it will splutter. Take the carberettor/carberettors off and blow through them a few times. This might solve the problem. Try and get someone who knows engines well to have a look at it for you first and failing that bring it to a dealer. Just avoid Cyrill Greene Marine if you can for my own reasons i won't mention here. Before going to a dealer its good to have a good idea what the problem is first. That way you pay for what you need and not what they choose to tell you :wink: . Also check the fuel line leading to the carberettor. you should find a little gauze type filter here. open this and check it for dirt. Clean it out using a bit of petrol. If dirt is causing a problem in the carberetors then this will be the source and may keep happening over and over again.

Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:14 pm

I took the boat out today, first time this year. I've done nothing to the engine over the winter apart from clean and grease. She ticks over perfectly now. Great !! What could have happened ? All I can think of was that I reduced the oil mix as I was adding too much - could this have caused the engine to cut out previously ?

Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:54 pm

It may well have been something really simple like a bit of dirt clogging a fuel line filter or a slightly kinked fuel line. I wonder did you change the petrol was it old petrol you were having the problem with?

If it runs away now I wouldn't worry about it, problems rarely fix themselves :wink:

Jim

Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:03 pm

It took a fill of new petrol, but apart from that all that changed was the oil mix, and I let in a bit more air to the petrol tank via the air intake on top. Whatever it was, it worked and I'm not complaining - am well happy - knocking the engine off completely always worries me.

Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:11 pm

Conor... I would say that may have been the cause of your problem. That valve on top of the tank should be fully open when in use. I made that mistake before myself and had to bring a boat limping back with the buddy squeezing the bulb to force fuel into the engine... :oops: Me cursing all the way about the Git that sold me a "dodgy" engine.....

Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:09 pm

Have made that mistake before myself Pete. :oops: Conor, leave that valve fully open when you are running the engine and then close it for fuel storage.

Kev

Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:45 pm

Cheers lads - another valuable lesson learnt ! So far, at least one lesson learnt per run out - we're getting there gradually!!! :D

My check list for the start of every trip grows ever longer ! Attatch Aux is number one ! :oops:

Fri May 11, 2007 8:07 am

One question, you say your engine is a VRO, am I not correct in thinking these engines are autolube, if so why are you adding oil to the petrol?

Sat May 12, 2007 6:22 pm

As far as I know it's not autolube. There's no dipstick for checking oil levels (apart from myself!!) and the bloke who sold me it told me the oil mix - he had the engine from new, so I'm assuming he knows what he's talking about - he owns a boat yard. Will have another check anyway, but almost certain it's not autolube.

Bought a nice new Mariner aux. , haven't tried it yet, but can't wait to get out and see how it runs.

Sun May 13, 2007 12:08 am

Conor H wrote:............Bought a nice new Mariner aux. , haven't tried it yet, but can't wait to get out and see how it runs.

Never mind how it runs, does it float?????????? :twisted:

Mon May 14, 2007 1:02 pm

:oops:

I bought a small lifejacket for it !!
Doesn't float but I fitted a mounting bracket for it, and I have it attached with very strong anchor rope to the transom, and an extra strong carabiner for easy/quick release when storing it off the boat. Taking no chances this time Gerry - has taken me since "the episode" til now to save up for the replacement !