GPS help

Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:47 am

i have a navman gps on our boat and the gps doesnt show the boat in the correct position.is there some way of calibrating this?it seems unusual

Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:22 pm

not familar with the navman but i assume that they are pretty much the same.

is it set up for Lat:Long?
make sure it is because that is what every one else uses! some can be set to allsorts of weird systems!

is it set up for decimal or minutes/seconds of arc?

how far off your true position is it reading?

SOMETIMES the americans mess with it and build in an error (i was once comming up the channel into killybegs and the plotter showed me almost 1/2 mile inland!!!!! but president bush was visiting shannon that day so the yanks were messing with it.

if all else fails take it to a dealer they will sort it as it is almost certainly something silly :oops:

GPS

Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:25 pm

Is it that the boat is not showing the correct position as compared to another GPS? Insure that the GPS Datum is set to WGS 84. This would be the std datum to use.

Or is it the positioning of the boat icon on the screen?

Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:37 pm

Pres. Clinton decreed that SA was to be turned off permanently before he left office. So that's not an issue any more...

Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:07 pm

I have a navman tracker 5500 myself and i had a similar problem until i got a C-MAP card or chip. You can get them in most marine shops. I got my one for around 100euro i think.
Is your lat long accurate? The screen on my gps is for charts that it gets from the C-MAP card and without this it has nothing to go on. But the lat long should still be accurate.
I hope this makes sense?

Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:31 am

I also have a trakker 5500, as Jim says first check the chart datum is WGS 84. If you find that your boat icon is still not showing the correct position on your chart screen, then you may correct the chart position, as it will most likely be the chart that is out, not the boats position. The steps to do this are in the owners manual.If you have not got one, I will put the steps up here for you.
Confused :?: You ought to be.

Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:30 pm

thanks guys got it sortd.i was just playing with the gps and restored factory settings so its perfect.so simple but i missed it!