Wanted: Spare Engine!

Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:40 pm

Ideally electric.

Ideally would look like an egg-beater.

Must be capable of being securely mounted on the transom.

Failing that, should be able to float............ :shock:

Sorry Conor, I know you said to say nothing, but did you really expect that? Me n Phenwick Mist've been fighting to see who gets to post first! :twisted:

Come on, tell all the nice folks here what happened........ :D

Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:44 pm

Oh dear....... Tell me you didnt......? I do have a patent pending on my key catching rig, I'm fairly sure I could have rigged something up for you..... :D

Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:22 pm

We should have bribed them not to tell.

They have to give the full story once they get home.

Have told the local divers about it.

' what do you mean it just fell off '
they asked.

'where did it fall off'
they asked again.

nobody knows-not even simply red's crew!!!

engine

Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:48 pm

Not the much vaunted Minn Kota?!!!!!! :shock:

Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:54 am

Minn Kota indeed ! Now in Davy Jones locker.

Tyre on trailer blew out on the way home !! Nice !! :(

Might sell the boat and buy a scrambler or something.

Nice to know your fellow forum members are so keen to squeal !! You'd have made a fortune pre-ceasefire !!!

Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:50 am

Nice to know your fellow forum members are so keen to squeal !! You'd have made a fortune pre-ceasefire !!!

:lol:

Ah but it would be impossible to keep something like that quiet :lol:

Insurance?

You must remember the wise ould saying: "...If you have an enemy, buy him a boat..." He'll be so busy fixing and farting around with it he won't have time for anything else!

Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:14 am

Keep the faith Conor..... :D

Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:58 pm

A good tip (don't you love my timing :lol: ) is to tie the o/b to the transom. Most o/b engines have a hole beside one of the locking clamps for this and the wise boat-owner will have a ring somewhere on the transom where they can tie it off to in case it hops the clamps.

For safety reasons, leave the rope long enough that the engine does fall into the water if it hops the clamps - you don't really want it flailing around at full power on top of the water on a short tether. Most petrol motors (or at least the older, smaller ones I'm used to) are easy enough sorted after a quick dip, so long as you get them emptied out and oiled up and back into service quickly (within hours, otherwise bearings etc will have started to rust), if you're familiar with tinkering with them. If in doubt of your own skills, better take it to a qualified service agent. Not sure about the electric ones though.

Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:16 pm

I use a bike lock myself, one of those relatively long slim bendy ones after a v near miss with the 4hp yam aux on back of Rapala. Launched from Crosshaven, bout 50-100 yards off slip I turned around to check the pisser on the engine was working ok and there it was sitting out at a 45 degree angle held on by around half of one of the clamps and no more. Luckily, phanover was on board at the time and grabbed it while I came to a rather abrupt stop. Easy done, them clamps need to be fair tight, ever since I've attached the bike lock....unlucky Conor mate, chalk it down to experience.

Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:48 pm

Laffing aside, there's valuable lessons there for everyone.

But how did ye get on with the fishing? Did you try that flattie mark at the mouth of the Mulroy on Sunday?

That patch of sand we were fishing outside of you just before we had to leave got me a plaice and a nice dab in 20 mins (ish). Did you have a try at it?

Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:58 am

saw them later when they came in and they had some great pollack from just inside duncap. also a good red gurnard and some greys over the sand.

mark