Navigation Lights

Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:54 pm

Bought a set of Nav lights recently (4) on ebay which arrived today as Cork harbour can be a busy place and its only a 15 footer which could be easily missed in low light conditions. couple of questions....

Firstly, what should I have installed on this boat? I have port, starboard, stern and masthead(?!) lights.

Secondly, what is the best way to wire these up. My own thoughts on it are as follows. When it comes to wiring them up (electronics are not that difficult surely.... :D ) I suppose there are 2 options, run a ring style circuit similar to a xmas tree lights set up, problem with that being if one bulb goes all lights go out. Or running a stacking system which would ensure that if 1 goes the rest stay lit, bit more wire involved but thats about it. What do the rest of you lads do?

Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:23 pm

Do NOT run the lights in a 'ring' configuration - the bulbs are not designed to work in series like Xmas tree lights. They have to be wired in parallel - ie a positive and negative line to each light individually.

I'd put the port/stbd nav lights on one switch, the 'masthead' on another and the stern on another again. If your masthead has 360 degree visibility, it could be used on it's own as an anchor light.

Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:38 pm

Cheers Sandman.

Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:06 pm

There are lots of books aimed at the pleasure boat owner from a DIY perspective. I'm sure a quick check of Ebay or Amazon would turn up something useful.

Like this

http://www.sheridanhouse.com/catalog/ma ... eelec.html

when it gets published....

There are links on the bottom of the page to a few of his books on wiring that are currently available.

Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:31 am

Are these light run off 12V DC? If you need a nice Dry Cell 12V 25Ah let me know. It will cost ye a trip out some time :wink:

Kev

Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:51 am

Hi Peter,

What you were describing was the bulbs in series which would mean the voltage across each bulb would be devided by the number of bulbs. A ring circuit is the way most home lighting is configure with two lines around an area with lights being tapped off in parallel. I don't mean any offense but I'd get the advise of a professional. You may invalidate your insurance or cause a fire if this is done incorrectly.

Donagh

Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:08 am

Posting up a rather crap sketch, showing the 2 options, I was preferring the second option TBH, until I was advised to wire them all back seperately to the fused switchboard (2 per switch). Thoughts anyone?

Kev, the lights are run off 12v DC alright, I dont intend using them too often so I will be wiring back to the main battery. I always carry a spare anyway, but thanks. Incidentally, dont look for a trip out with me mate, that comes under an extreme sport, have you not seen some of my recent exploits reports!!! :D

Apologies for quality of the pic, its from the moby as Dig at home, should be enough to give an idea of what I mean though.

Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:10 pm

:lol: Extreem sports..... That's what life jackets were invented for :wink:

Anyway, It's been way too long since my Cert in Electronics. I think all the Beers I've had in the mean time might have fried the cells carring that information. This stuff is very simple once you get the wiring diagram. Hopefully someone else will give you a dig out there.

Kev